Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
Cabbage fried with bacon makes for an easy and tasty side dish.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 onion, diced (or sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a large pan over medium-high heat, about 3-5 minutes, and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoon of grease in the pan.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and saute in the bacon grease until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the bacon and cabbage saute until the cabbage is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and season salt and pepper to taste.
Option: Omit the bacon and saute everything in 2 tablespoons of butter or oil.
Option: Add 2 chopped cloves garlic.
Option: Replace the cider vinegar with malt vinegar!
Option: Add a teaspoon sugar.
Option: Finish the fried cabbage off with a generous splash of hot sauce!