Frito Pie Casserole is an easy to love dish. Easy, quick and packed with flavor this is comfort food at its finest!
I grew up eating Frito Pie… I don’t know if it’s a southern thing, or just low-level food, but I never grew out of the love I have for it. While, when I was little Frito Pie was usually a bowl of Fritos, topped with some sort of canned chili with a heavy handed pour of nacho cheese on top. Generally consumed at ballparks, or fairs, Frito Pie occasionally made an appearance at dinnertime in my very 80’s dinner table.
So while, my version of Frito Pie doesn’t include nacho cheese or canned chili, it certainly isn’t “fine dining”. Comfort food at it’s core, and 100% delicious.
The process is crazy simple and I made this quick little video to show you how!
The extra garnish on top is a little extra. Add as much or as little as you like. Also remember more is more ?
And then dig in and enjoy!
Frito Pie Casserole
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (15- ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15- ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (10- ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15- ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (9¼- ounce) bag Fritos
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Cheese
- optional sour cream and guacamole to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef and onion together over medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain the excess grease from the pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and season the meat with the salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Stir to coat. Add in the beans, corn, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and cook util heated through. Remove from the heat.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, spread ⅔ of the bag of Fritos onto the bottom. Spread the meat mixture on top of the Fritos and top with the grated cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
- Garnish with the remaining Fritos and serve warm.
- Top with sour cream and guacamole if desired.
store airtight for up to 3 days.