Golden chicken lentil soup made with creamy light coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and cumin. Delicious flavors; this soup will be your new favorite!
How was your weekend? We had a lovely one over here with beautiful vibrant blue skies and 60 degree temps. Saturday night was even nice enough for us to grill out with homemade cumin turkey burgers, roasted peppers and plenty of wine to fill our glasses.
Last week was an entirely different story though. It was cold, rainy and I could never seem to get warm enough even when I was wrapped up in a fuzzy blanket.
The cure for having the chills? A comforting bowl of delicious soup simmering away on the stove top and devoured with your favorite crackers on top.
I hadn’t done any real grocery shopping last week, so making this soup required me to make due with what was in the fridge that needed to be used up.
Carrots! Leftover chicken! Chicken broth! Fresh ginger! Cilantro! Chopped onion!
As I peaked in the pantry, I knew that this soup might be even more delicious than what I hoped for. I found:
Light coconut milk! Garlic! Lentils! Turmeric & Cumin!
The soup simmered away for about 45 minutes before I snapped a video to put on Instagram Stories. Many of you asked (demanded haha) for the recipe, and for good reason too. It’s beautiful, incredibly flavorful, protein and fiber packed, comforting and full of healthy goodness.
The turmeric, garlic cumin and fresh ginger add a delightful fresh flavor to the dish. The coconut milk brings just the right amount of richness. What else? This soup is incredibly FILLING!
I loved making this for a wonderful weeknight meal, then reheating for lunches. I even made it twice last week because it’s just that good.
I hope you love this as much as I do! Have a wonderful start to your week.
Golden Coconut Chicken Lentil Soup
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 1 heaping cup
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 27.6g
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Fiber: 10.4g
- Protein: 28g
Recipe type: Soup, Gluten Free, High Protein, Lunch, Dinner, Dairy free
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed well
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast* (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For garnish: fresh chopped cilantro & extra coconut milk
- Add olive oil to a large pot and place over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion and carrots; saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in turmeric, ginger, cumin and cayenne pepper. Allow spices to cook with the carrots and onions for 30 seconds then add in chicken broth, coconut milk, lentils, shredded chicken, salt and black pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes until lentils are cooked and soup thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Pour into bowls, or individual containers for meal prep. Soup is wonderful when garnished with cilantro and a little extra light coconut milk on top. Serves 4.
TO MAKE VEGAN: Use 1 can of chickpeas instead of chicken.