Grilled Chicken Thighs with Brown Sugar Glaze – Juicy, savory-sweet brown sugar glazed chicken thighs grilled to a tender perfection!
It’s time to crack open the grill and make room for these delicious Grilled Chicken Thighs! They are a little spicy, a bit of sweet and sticky, and a whole lot of amazing!
Similar to my Spicy Sweet and Sticky Chicken Thighs, this grilled chicken thighs recipe is also packed with bold flavors that even the pickiest of eaters will want to dive right in.
Okay, first of all, let’s pause for a moment of reflection on the fact that summer, technically, is one week away. Let’s also pause for a minute and say a prayer for all those Moms/Dads/Grandparents/Caregivers that work from home and their kids are OFF for the summer Thank You!
Anyways, let’s discuss chicken THIGHS and how to grill ’em!
The important steps to really juicy grilled chicken thighs include a really good marinade, trimmed fat, and a hot grill.
Getting the best grilled chicken thighs requires just a bit of preparation to make the best tasting thighs that you can make.
- First and foremost, trim the fat. Pockets of fat cause flare-ups when they hit the grill thus it’s best to trim away any excess fat pockets.
- Second most important, if not THE MOST important thing is the marinade and/or glaze. Our delicious chicken marinade, which is also used as a sweet glaze, consists of light brown sugar, soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, seasonings and herbs.
- As little as 30 minutes of marinating helps get the best taste out of the chicken thighs, but it’s better to leave them in the marinade for up to 4 hours in the fridge. I make a bit extra on the side so that we can also use it as a glaze or even a dipping sauce.
- Third, prepare the grill by preheating it to a medium-high heat. I almost always grill the chicken thighs at around 400F to 425F.
- Before placing the chicken thighs on the grill, please grease the grates with cooking oil.
- Finally, chicken thighs will need at least 11 to 15 minutes on the grill, depending on their size, but I suggest using a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are thoroughly cooked at 165F, but I do not remove them from the grill until they’ve reached a temperature of around 170F to 175F. It’s a personal preference because I find the dark meat to still be a bit tough when cooked to an internal temperature of 165F.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are a good choice because they cook quickly and don’t dry out even if they are a little overcooked.
- The chicken marinade would be just as good brushed onto boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or even wings and drumsticks.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and left in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Are you loving the asparagus up there?! Get the recipe for GRILLED ASPARAGUS and let me know if you liked it!
MORE SUMMER RECIPES
- The Best Grilled Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Jack Daniel’s Grilled Steak Recipe
- Garlic Herb Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- Grilled Mediterranean Turkey Meatballs Skewers
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Brown Sugar Glaze
Juicy, savory-sweet brown sugar glazed chicken thighs grilled to a tender perfection!
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 8 boneless (skinless chicken thighs, trimmed)
FOR THE BROWN SUGAR MARINADE/GLAZE
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon or to taste sriracha hot sauce
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
FOR THE CHICKEN
Arrange chicken thighs in a large mixing bowl or dish and set aside.
FOR THE BROWN SUGAR MARINADE/GLAZE
- Whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, oil, vinegar, hot sauce, garlic, basil, ginger, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Reserve 1/3 cup of the marinade mixture for later use; pour the remaining of the marinade mixture over the chicken thighs.
- Cover and place chicken thighs in the fridge for 30 minutes, and up to 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove chicken from fridge and let sit in room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; about 400F to 425F.
- Brush grill grates with oil.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place the chicken on the grill over direct heat and cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and grill until the second side is browned, 5 minutes more, or until cooked through and internal temperature is at least 165F.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked through, brush on the reserved marinade/glaze on both sides of the chicken thighs and continue to cook until done.
- Remove from grill and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 11