Chocolate milk lovers, this one’s for you! After testing a few amazing homemade nut milk recipes we knew we had to throw in a little some decadent. Move over Nesquick, this homemade chocolate hazelnut milk has toasty hazelnut flavor, rich dark chocolate and a natural sweetness from a little pure maple syrup.
I seriously can’t get enough of this combo. It pretty much tastes like Nutella and will make your coffee drinks have a wonderful mocha flavor. Use this homemade hazelnut milk in banana-based smoothies, baked goods and so much more! Kiddos will LOVE cold glasses of this hazelnut milk and you can feel good about the simple, natural ingredients.
Remember to get all of our delicious nut milk recipes here, and let us know which ones is your fav!
Homemade chocolate hazelnut milk heaven
If you love the flavor of Nutella, you’re going to be obsessed with this creamy chocolate hazelnut milk recipe. It’s:
- Easy to make at home. Hazelnut milk can be hard to find and expensive from grocery stores, but this hazelnut milk recipe is SO easy to make right at home.
- Packed with healthy fats. Store-bought nut milks tend to be filled with stabilizers and extra ingredients instead of lots of actual nuts themselves, so when you make this homemade hazelnut milk you can feel good about the healthy fats and simple ingredients inside.
- Absolutely delicious. When I say this chocolate hazelnut milk is creamy and delicious I mean it! It tastes super decadent even though it’s naturally sweetened, and seriously gives you that Nutella flavor.
- Vegan & dairy free. Just like most nut milks, this hazelnut milk is also vegan and dairy free and perfect for those with dairy allergies.
Everything you’ll need to make homemade hazelnut milk
This easy hazelnut milk recipe just requires 2 core ingredients plus some flavor add-ins that seriously make it taste like Nutella. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Hazelnuts: you’ll, of course, need hazelnuts to make hazelnut milk. I recommend simply using raw hazelnuts — feel free to keep the skins on.
- Water: you’ll also need some filtered water to soak the hazelnuts and to blend with the soaked hazelnuts to create the pourable milk.
- Flavor boosters: we’re taking this hazelnut milk recipe to the next level with some high quality cocoa powder (feel free to use cacao powder, too), pure maple syrup and a pinch of salt. The result is creamy, chocolatey goodness with a hint of Nutella flavor! Note that these flavors are optional, so feel free to make regular, non-chocolate hazelnut milk by leaving these out.
The best tools for making nut milk
To make this vegan chocolate hazelnut milk recipe you’ll just need a few tools:
How to make homemade chocolate hazelnut milk
This is truly the BEST homemade hazelnut milk recipe with delicious flavor from chocolate.
Step 1: add your hazelnuts to a bowl and cover them with enough water to submerge them. Let the hazelnuts soak for 6-8 hours or overnight so that they soften up.
Step 2: once the hazelnuts are done soaking, drain them from the water and rinse them out.
Step 3: add the soaked, rinsed hazelnuts to a blender with 4 cups of fresh, filtered water, as well as the cocoa powder, maple syrup and salt.
Step 4: blend the mixture on high speed for 1 minute. If you feel like you need to blend them more, simply do so for 30 more seconds.
Step 5: place your nut milk bag or clean dish towel over a large bowl or pitcher. Carefully pour the chocolate hazelnut milk into the bag or towel and strain the liquid into the bowl. Use your hands to wring out all of the milk. There you have it!
Save that hazelnut pulp
After straining the hazelnut milk, don’t toss the pulp — it can be used to make homemade crackers, flour, or even add to smoothies.
How to store homemade chocolate hazelnut milk
Store your hazelnut milk in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you find that it has separated, gently shake the jar to mix it up.
Other nut milk flavors you’ll love
Don’t forget to check out our full post for making any kind of nut milk you’d like!
Delicious ways to use homemade hazelnut milk
Now that you have creamy chocolate hazelnut milk in your refrigerator, here are some great ways to use it:
Get even more inspo with the recipes using nut milk!
More how-to guides you’ll love
Check out all of our kitchen tutorials here.
I hope you love this homemade chocolate hazelnut milk recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Milk
Prep Time 6 hours 10 minutes
Total Time 6 hours 10 minutes
This homemade hazelnut milk recipe has a boost of chocolate flavor that makes it taste just like Nutella! Skip the expensive, store-bought kind and make this chocolate hazelnut milk right at home. Enjoy it on its own, in coffee, desserts and more!
pure maple syrup
of sea salt
Add hazelnuts to a bowl and cover with enough water to submerge. Soak 6-8 hours or overnight. This helps them soften enough so that they can blend properly.
In the morning, drain hazelnuts from their soaking water and rinse them in a colander.
Add soaked hazelnuts and 4 cups of fresh filtered water to a high-powered blender. Add in any flavor additions you’d like to make them your own.
Blend on high speed for 1 minute, adding 30 seconds more if you feel it necessary to blend.
Place your nut milk bag over a large bowl or pitcher. Pour the hazelnut milk into the bag and strain the liquid into the bowl, using your hands to wring out all of the milk.
Pour the hazelnut milk from the bowl into glass jars. Milk will keep in the fridge for up to a week, if not longer. If it separates, simply shake the jars.
Don’t toss the nut pulp — it can be used to make homemade crackers, add to smoothies or nut flour.
To store: store your hazelnut milk in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you find that it has separated, gently shake the jar to mix it up.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats