Moist, fluffy chocolate cake topped with a sky-high, sweet marshmallow buttercream frosting – these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are a can’t miss recipe for the winter season!
So California is having a week of rain.
And Californians are acting like Y2K is coming. Like, if Mother Nature even gave us one day of snow, we’d probably melt like the Wicked Witch in Wizard of Oz.
And there’d probably still be some weirdo wearing cargo shorts and flip flops while it was snowing. (Side note: that irrationally grinds my gears, but I digress).
Californians can be so dramatic with the slightest of weather shifts. It’s raining for a week. We’re not having a hurricane. We’re in no threat of a tsunami. It’s seriously intermittent showers. I wouldn’t even use the term “downpour.” But natives have a colossal freak-out like it’s acid rain coming from the Gates of Hell.
Hello, Hollywood is in California. Of course we’re dramatic.
But during this non-torrential sprinkle of water falling from the sky, I bet I’m not going to be the only one cozying up by the fire and catching up on novels. I’ve gone a little Amazon-crazy the last few weeks ordering no less than 20 novels (not joking) to read when I’m done writing my book (which is soon! Yay!). I’m also going to use my newfound freedom to bake cupcakes, namely these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream.
These cupcakes are one of my new favorites for a few reasons. One, the cupcake itself is super moist, fluffy, and extra chocolaty. It’s actually made with real hot cocoa powder in it to really ramp up that milky, creamy flavor. And the marshmallow buttercream is kinda sorta to-die for. Light, fluffy, sweet… it’s almost like a cloud sitting atop each cake.
To really top it off, I sprinkled the tops with chocolate syrup and miniature marshmallow bits, which are teensy freeze-dried marshmallows you can find near the hot cocoa in the store. It just drives home that flavor, and they’re totally adorable to boot!
So whether it’s blizzard-ing, sunny, or kinda-raining, make these cupcakes this week and feel cozy no matter the weather ?
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream
Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel
Recipe type: Cakes/Cupcakes
These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream are so perfect! Like little heavenly clouds and wonderful to make during the chilly winter months.
- FOR CUPCAKES:
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 & ¼ cups milk
- ⅔ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 small instant hot cocoa packet (just the dry mix)
- 1 (3.9 ounce) box instant dry chocolate pudding mix
- FOR MARSHMALLOW BUTTERCREAM:
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow fluff
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Miniature marshmallow bits and chocolate syrup for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with 22 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, milk, oil, eggs, hot cocoa packet, and dry pudding mix together with an electric mixer until combined and smooth, about 2 minutes. Portion the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling about ¾ full.
- Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, marshmallow fluff, vanilla and salt together in a stand mixer until combined and smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually add in the powdered sugar, about one cup at a time, alternating with the heavy cream until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with marshmallow bits and the chocolate syrup.
Moist, fluffy cakes topped with a sinfully sweet marshmallow buttercream… these cupcakes can’t be beat!
Have a super sweet day!