Hot Cocoa Cookies-soft and chewy chocolate cookies topped with a big, fluffy marshmallow and a sprinkling of finely chopped chocolate. These cookies will remind you of a cup of hot cocoa!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
When it’s cold and snowing outside, all I want to do is curl up with a cozy blanket, a cup of hot cocoa…AND a few Hot Cocoa Cookies! Yes, hot cocoa cookies! They are a wintertime favorite and a MUST for the holiday season.
If you like hot chocolate, you will LOVE these cookies because they taste just like a cup of hot cocoa, but in my opinion, BETTER! Cookies are always number one in my book! The chocolate cookies are soft, chewy, and have a big melty marshmallow on top. I also sprinkle the cookies with finely chopped chocolate to make them extra pretty and extra delicious!
And don’t worry, you don’t have to choose between hot cocoa and hot cocoa cookies, you can totally have BOTH! You have my permission, the holidays are for splurging!
How to Make Hot Cocoa Cookies
Hot cocoa cookies are easy to make and fun to eat! Kids and adults love these cookies! They are a great addition to any holiday cookie platter!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper.
- First, whisk together the dry ingredients. Make sure you use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium high speed until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping down the side of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons and place onto the prepared baking sheet, placing the dough balls about 2-inches apart. Don’t make the cookies any bigger, you only want a tablespoon of dough so the cookies don’t spread and so the marshmallows are proportioned properly on top of the cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes and then open the oven and carefully slide out the pan. Gently press one marshmallow half in the center of each cookie. Try to work quickly. Push the pan back in the oven and bake for an additional minute so the marshmallows can get soft.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Garnish with finely chopped chocolate. You could also garnish with sprinkles or crushed candy canes for a festive look!
Storing Hot Cocoa Cookies
Store completely cooled hot cocoa cookies in an airtight container for up to two days. Don’t stack the cookies or they will get stuck together, make sure they are in a single layer.
The marshmallow and chocolate combo is a WINNER! Add hot cocoa cookies to your holiday baking list NOW! They are fun and oh so delicious! Enjoy!
More Christmas Cookie Recipes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 19 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
- Finely chopped chocolate, for garnish
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Hot Cocoa Cookies
Amount Per Serving
Calories 106 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g15%
Vitamin A 124IU2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.