This No Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites Recipe is made with oats, hazelnuts, cocoa and sweetened with dates — they are the perfect healthy snack for lunches or school or work! They are so easy to make — includes a step by step recipe video.
I think one of the worst parts of being a food blogger is having to think about back to school in the middle of summer.
And because I’m a little obsessive and like to work ahead (you know, so I can enjoy my summer), I actually start thinking about back to school in Spring!
Since these Lemon Blueberry Energy Bites are the only energy bites recipe on The Recipe Rebel, I decided I needed another! And I know that people are often looking for ways to swap out peanut butter in school snacks for other types of nuts (if they are allowed), so I wanted to come up with a recipe that doesn’t use it as a base.
As much as we all love peanut butter here, my daughter is going into a nut-free Kindergarten room this fall (my first in school!) so I’m going to be thinking a little more about nut-free snacks. These do use hazelnuts, but I know that in a lot of cases it’s strictly peanuts that aren’t allowed, and because they’re so darn delicious, I wanted to share them anyway. We’ll continue to enjoy these at home and throughout the rest of the summer as an on-the-go snack!
Tips and Tricks for this Energy Bites Recipe:
- The hazelnuts I bought didn’t come peeled, so I peeled them using this method by Jamie of My Baking Addiction and it worked perfectly! But please, please — use a really big pot.
- You can definitely swap out the hazelnuts for another nut you have on hand (or one that doesn’t require peeling), but I was going for that “Nutella” vibe, so that’s why I chose hazelnuts.
- Which brings me to my 3rd point — these do not taste like Nutella. Eating one of these is not like eating a big old scoop straight out of the Nutella jar — I wanted them to be a healthy snack, reminiscent of those Nutella flavors ?
- Feel free to add in extra nuts, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips or a scoop of protein powder for some extra pizzazz!
- These balls also have 5% of your daily iron, in just one! This is great for someone like me who always tends to be low in iron.
No Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites Recipe + VIDEO
cups hazelnuts, peeled, divided
cup pitted dates (26-27 dates)
tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
tablespoons liquid honey
cups large rolled oats, divided
- In a food processor, add 1 cup hazelnuts, dates, cocoa powder, honey, and 1 cup oats. Process until a smooth, pliable ball forms.
- Remove ball to a bowl. Chop and stir in remaining ½ cup hazelnuts and ½ cup oats.
- Roll into 1″ balls (I got about 24). Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, in the fridge for 7 days, or freeze for 3-4 months.
*Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on exact serving size, types and brands of products used.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
Calories from fat
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
It's totally FREE, and you can unsubscribe anytime.