Quick and flavorful cucumber bites topped with delicious pesto flavored Genova tuna, fresh tomato and basil, creamy mozzarella, and a drizzle of homemade balsamic reduction. These little Caprese bites are light, healthy, and perfect for entertaining!
Not sure if you guys are happy about zucchini week being over or completely devastated. I’m ready for a little something different in the recipe rotation because guess what I learned? Tony hates zucchini. He told me this after he picked the roasted zucchini out of the enchilada casserole I made. Funny enough, he did completely demolished several slices of my chocolate zucchini cake with zero complaints.
Let’s move on to my new favorite appetizer. One with just a few ingredients, quick prep time, easy bite-ability, and of course, BOLD FLAVA.
Meet the adorable Pesto Caprese Tuna Cucumber Bites in partnership with my friends at Genova Tuna.
I wanted to make something that is easily to assemble, cute enough to impress your guests and leaves you wanting more because they’re so freakin’ delish.
So how do you make them?
First, Genova tuna is mixed with store-bought pesto (or you can easily make your own) then piled high on thick cucumber slices, topped with a ripe cherry tomato half, a little mozzarella, a basil leaf and a drizzle of an easy homemade sweet balsamic reduction. BOOM.
If you haven’t already noticed, I’ve loved using Genova’s albacore and yellowfin tunas for quick meals and little snacks like this. One can packs 26g of protein and is packaged in just a little olive oil and salt. It’s literally my favorite tuna out there because it has SUCH good flavor.
Genova also allows you to actually trace your tuna to see where it came from by entering a code on their site here. Pretty cool, huh?
P.S. If you haven’t made my farmer’s market tuna wraps, you NEED to. They are outrageously good.
Make these for your next summer BBQ, impress all of your friends, and send me a photo of your masterpiece on Instagram by tagging #ambitiouskitchen.
Pesto Tuna Caprese Cucumber Bites
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
Recipe type: Appetizer
- For the cucumber bites:
- 1 medium cucumbers, sliced into ½ inch rounds (I used an english cucumber from trader joe’s)
- 1 (5 oz) can Genova Yellowfin or Albacore Tuna in Easy-Open can, drained
- 3 tablespoons store bought pesto
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 7 basil leaves
- 14 mini mozzarella balls (or you can just make small round mozz circles if you can’t find the balls)
- For the balsamic glaze:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (any will work)
- Add balsamic vinegar and sugar to a small saucepan and place over medium high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every so often until the balsamic vinegar turns into a thick syrup like consistency. Remove from heat and set aside. Note: if the mixture hardens up after removing from heat, just reheat it over a low heat.
- While the balsamic vinegar is boiling, add the tuna, pesto and freshly ground black pepper to a small bowl; stir to combine. Place about a ½ tablespoon of tuna pesto mixture on each cucumber round. Top with mozzarella ball, cherry tomato half, and small basil leaf and secure with a toothpick. Transfer all to a platter. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve immediately. Makes 14 bites.
This post is in partnership with Genova Seafood, a brand I trust. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that help make this site possible.