Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes Servings: 24(24, 1 tablespoon servings)
A Mexican style chilli oil, or salsa, with morita chiles, peanuts and sesame seeds.
- 1 cup neutral oil (such as corn oil or sunflower oil)
- 4 chiles moritas (dry), stems and seeds removed
- 1 ounce chiles de arbol (dry), stems and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat to 325F/170C, turn off the heat, mix in the chilli peppers and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the peanuts and sesame seeds and let toast in the residual heat, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the vinegar, sugar, oregano, garlic and salt.
- Puree in a food processor, or using a stick blender, until it reaches the desired consistency.
Option: Use different chilli peppers.
Option: Use different nuts and/or seeds.S