Ingredients: 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour,1 cup heavy cream,1/2 cup honey,1/4 cup ice water,1 1/4 cups light brown sugar,1 1/4 cups light brown sugar,1 pound pecan halves (toasted),1/2 teaspoon salt,3/4 teaspoon salt,1 1/2 sticks Salted butter*,1/2 cup sugar,1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes,1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Toast the pecans: Preheat the oven to 350 F.Scatter the pecan halves onto a cookie sheet and bake for 5-8 minutes or until they just begin to get aromatic. Keep a close watch on them because they can burn very fast once they become fragrant.In a food processor, pulse the flour with the sugar and salt.
- Add the cubed butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle on the ice water and vinegar and process until the crumbs are evenly moistened.Turn the crumbs out onto a sheet of wax paper and knead just until the dough comes together.Pat the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until slightly chilled, about 15 minutes.Preheat the oven to 375.Line the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of wax paper to an 11- by-15-inch rectangle (1/4 inch thick).Trim the dough to a 9-by-13-inch rectangle and place it in the baking pan.
- Cut the remaining dough into 3/4-inch-wide strips and press them up the side of the pan to form a rim all around. Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 30 minutes. *Since the filling is not very thick, I found the edges to be on the dry side. I would have prefered to use all the dough for the bottom crust only.*Line the dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the dough is just set.
- Remove the parchment paper and weights and bake the crust for about 12 minutes longer, until lightly golden and set.
- Let cool.In a large saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, honey and salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until foamy and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer inserted in the caramel registers 240 (soft ball stage), about 10 minutes longer.
- Add the pecans and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Pour the filling over the crust, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and the topping is bubbling.
- Let cool completely. Slide the parchment onto a cutting board.
- Cut into bars and serve.