Ingredients: 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce,1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes,3 T. chopped fresh basil,3 cloves of garlic, minced,1 pound ground beef,10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths,3 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided,1 medium onion, finely chopped,1/2 t. dried oregano,1/2 c. plus 2 T. Parmesan cheese,1/8 t. crushed red pepper flakes,1 c. ricotta cheese (preferably whole-milk),salt & pepper, to taste,2 T. tomato paste,1 1/2 cups water
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is shimmering.
- Add onion and 1/2 t. salt, cook until onion is softened and beginning to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly until garlic is fragrant and the tomato paste is distributed., about a minute.
- Add ground beef, cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the diced tomatoes (undrained) into a large measuring cup, add enough water to the tomatoes to measure 4 cups.
- When the meat is browned, scatter the lasagna noodles evenly over the top of the meat (do not stir).
- Pour the diced tomatoes and water, and the tomato sauce evenly over the top of the noodles. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring once or twice during cook time, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in the 1/2 c. Parmesan. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Dollop rounded tablespoons of the ricotta evenly over the top, cover and let stand for 5 minutes, to let the ricotta warm through.
- Sprinkle with the basil and remaining 2 T. Parmesan.