This classic slow cooker creamed corn recipe is super-easy to make in the Crock-Pot (or on the stovetop), it’s wonderfully rich and creamy, and made with just 5 simple ingredients.
Last year when we hosted our first-ever Thanksgiving dinner for all of our friends here in Barcelona, there was one surprise dish that 100% stole the show…
…the creamed corn. ♡
Haha, I know. Out of the dozen or so traditional side dishes that we passed around the table that night, I have to admit that I never would have expected creamed corn to be the dish that everyone went nuts over. But this was the first time that most of our European friends had ever tried this throwback American favorite. And turns out, they absolutely loved it.
I’ve already stocked my freezer with extra bags of frozen corn this year so that we can be sure to make an extra-large batch. But for any of you who might also be wanting to add this traditional dish to your Thanksgiving table, I thought I would re-share my favorite 5-ingredient classic creamed corn recipe that I make every year. As the recipe title suggests, I almost always relegate this dish to my Crock-Pot, whose “warm” setting is an easy way to keep the dish warm and creamy for those coming back for seconds (or in the case of our dinner last year, thirds). But if you would rather make it on the stovetop, I’ve updated this post with instructions for how to make creamed corn in a saucepan in just 10 minutes. And I’ve thrown in a few new ideas for fun extra ingredients or seasonings that you are welcome to add too.
So whether you’re serving creamed corn for Thanksgiving dinner here or there, or just craving this classic comfort food any other day of the year, here is my tried-and-true recipe for the best creamed corn!
Slow Cooker Creamed Corn Ingredients:
To make this slow cooker creamed corn recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Corn: Either canned or frozen whole-kernel corn will do.
- Cream cheese: I typically use low-fat cream cheese, but full-fat would be extra-delicious too.
- Butter: Whose flavor is essential in creamed corn, in my opinion.
- Milk: Any type of milk that you prefer.
- Salt and pepper: As always. 🙂
- (Optional) Honey: Just a small drizzle, if you would like an extra hint of sweetness.
How To Make Creamed Corn
This dish literally could not be easier! Simply…
- Combine all of the ingredients. Add them to the bowl of a small slow cooker and stir briefly to combine.
- Slow cook. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, until the cream cheese and butter are completely melted.
- Stir and season. Give the mixture a good stir to combine all of the ingredients. Then taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve. And dish it up nice and warm!
There are lots of fun ways to customize this creamed corn recipe! For example, feel free to…
- Add cheese: Feel free to stir in some of your favorite freshly-grated shredded cheese to make cheesy corn! I’m partial, myself, to either Parmesan or a good sharp-cheddar. Just be sure to grate the cheese yourself (typically pre-shredded cheese don’t melt as well) and then stir it in after the corn has cooked, just before serving.
- Add dry seasonings: I also love adding dry seasonings to creamed corn, such as Cajun seasoning or Italian seasoning.
- Add fresh herbs: Or instead of dry seasoning, you’re welcome to add in a sprig or two of your favorite fresh herbs (such as rosemary).
- Add garnishes: Chopped fresh chives, green onions or parsley always add a lovely pop of color.
- Make it on the stovetop: This recipe can also easily be made on the stovetop in less than 10 minutes. Just combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat over medium-heat until the butter and cream cheese have melted, stirring occasionally until all of the ingredients are evenly combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper, then serve!
- Make it ahead of time: If you would like to prep this recipe in advance, you can store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Then warm it back up in your slow cooker (or in the microwave).
More Easy Side Dish Recipes:
This classic slow cooker creamed corn recipe tastes deliciously rich and creamy, and it’s super-easy to make in the Crock-Pot (or on the stovetop). See notes above for possible ingredient add-ins.
- 4 (15-ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained (or 2 pounds frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained)
- 1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, diced
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, diced
- optional: 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Combine ingredients. Combine corn, cream cheese, milk, butter, honey (if using), and a pinch of salt and pepper in the bowl of a small slow cooker. Stir briefly to combine.
- Slow cook: Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours*, until the cream cheese and butter are melted. (I recommend checking the corn every 30-45 minutes or so to give it a stir and ensure that it does not accidentally burn.)
- Stir and season. Stir the mixture until combined. Then taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve. Serve warm and enjoy!
*Cook Time: Slow cookers can vary significantly in terms of their heat levels. So I always recommend keeping a close eye on creamy recipes, such as this one, to ensure that it does not accidentally scorch.
This post contains affiliate links.