This Roasted Corn Chowder is made with sweet potatoes, roasted poblano peppers, coconut milk, and topped with avocado and cilantro. It is the BEST corn chowder! You will never know it is vegan because it is so creamy and delicious!
Sweet Potato Roasted Corn Chowder
I am still making the most of summer produce. I picked up fresh sweet corn from the farmers market and decided to make Sweet Potato Roasted Corn Chowder.
I was in the mood for something a little more hearty than the usual summer fair. This corn chowder hits the spot every time. Every bowl is loaded with flavor…and the best part? It is vegan and gluten-free! You will never know it though because it is so creamy and delicious!
Roasted Corn Chowder Ingredients
- Fresh Sweet Corn – I like to use fresh sweet corn when it’s in season. I roast the corn to bring out the best flavor. If you can’t find good corn on the cob, you can use frozen corn. Trader Joe’s makes frozen roasted corn that is good.
- Poblano Peppers – Charred poblano peppers add a ton of flavor to this chowder. You can char them on the grill, over a gas flame, or in the oven.
- Olive Oil – use olive oil for sautéing the onion, celery, and garlic. If you don’t need the chowder to be vegan, you can use butter.
- Onion, Celery, and Garlic – these ingredients add great flavor and are the perfect way to start the chowder.
- Sweet potatoes – I like to use white sweet potatoes for this chowder recipe. You can use orange sweet potatoes/yams, the color will just be slightly different. If you want to use regular potatoes, Yukon gold or red potatoes work best.
- Oregano, Cumin, and Smoked paprika -these spices bring out the flavor in the chowder. The smoked paprika is a MUST, my favorite spice.
- Vegetable Broth -you can use canned, boxed, or homemade!
- Coconut Milk – To keep the chowder vegan, I use coconut milk instead of heavy cream, plus I just love the flavor! It is SO good in this chowder. Make sure you buy full fat coconut milk in the can. Shake it up before adding it to the chowder.
- Lime Juice – a squeeze of fresh lime juice brightens up the chowder.
- Fresh Cilantro – stir in fresh cilantro at the end. If you don’t like cilantro, you can leave it out, but I love it!
How to Make Roasted Corn Chowder
- Char the corn and poblano peppers. Charring the corn and poblano peppers brings out the best flavor and takes the corn chowder from good to GREAT!
- Sauté the onion, celery and garlic. n a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the sweet potatoes and seasonings. Add the vegetable broth and Increase heat and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the roasted corn. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Blend the chowder. Transfer about a third of the chowder to a blender and blend until smooth. Stir the mixture back into the pot. If you have an immersion blender you can blend the chowder in the pot, but don’t over do it. You want there to be chunks.
- Stir in the poblano peppers, coconut milk, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle the chowder into the bowls and garnish with desired toppings. Serve warm.
Best Vegan Corn Chowder
You will love this lightened up version of corn chowder. It is creamy, comforting, and so delicious. I like to top my bowl with fresh cilantro, avocado, pepitas, and a little extra roasted corn. Comfort in a bowl!
The corn chowder will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the chowder. Let the chowder cool completely and store in a freezer container for up to 2 months. I am going to make another batch so I can put some in the freezer for a rainy day. It is SO good!
More Soup Recipes:
small poblano peppers
large sweet potato,
peeled and diced (2 cups)
fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper,
Cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, & pepitas,
for garnish, optional
Sweet Potato Roasted Corn Chowder
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrates 23g
Dietary Fiber 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.