Thai Basil Chicken
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
A quick and easy Thai style chicken stir fry with plenty of basil and cashews!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or thighs), cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 shallots, diced (or 1/4 red onion, diced)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 birds eye chilies, thinly sliced (or 1 tablespoon chili sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup basil (preferably Thai basil)
- 1/2 cup cashew, lightly toasted
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken and saute until lightly golden brown and cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the shallots and red pepper and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and deglaze the pan by scraping up and brown bits from the bottom of the pan as the broth sizzles.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and zest, chilies, and turmeric and cook for a minute.
- Mix in the basil and cashews and enjoy!
Option: Add extra vegetables!
Option: Add chopped cilantro!
Option: Add chopped mint!
Tip: Steam rice while cooking!