This truly is the BEST, PERFECT Apple Pie recipe! A simple shortcut makes it quick to prepare, but the homemade, from-scratch apple filling is to-die for! Don’t forget the cinnamon whipped cream and caramel sauce!
I know I use the term “the best” a lot… and in every case, I believe it to be true! My built-in ratings system (family, friends, neighbors, strangers, my apartment’s office) love it and give me their critiques. If they don’t all love it, it doesn’t get “the best” title.
And this pie – it is no exception. It truly is my new go-to favorite apple pie recipe, and I hope it will be yours, too!
I know it’s a little early to start thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas, but if you’re like me, you can never be too prepared. Or, if you’re like me, you bake apple pies all the time during the fall and winter. Consider this your new go-to!
What I love about this pie is that it uses a shortcut that will really help during the stressful time-crunch of holiday meal prep: refrigerated pie crusts. These things are a lifesaver in the kitchen, especially when you need appliances/counter space/everything else for other important components of your meal, like the turkey and sides. Of course, if you want to use your own homemade pie crust recipe, feel free!
The filling is the star here – made with two kinds of fresh apples, and lots of sugar & spice, the filling mixture thickens as it cooks and cools and has so much flavor.
Now pardon my slightly ghetto lattice crust, but truth be told, lattice crusts make me nervous since it requires lots of geometry and rocket science and stuff (or maybe I’m just really freakin’ stupid), so I made a mock lattice crust which I think looks just as pretty. Sprinkle on some coarse sugar before baking to really make this pie spectacular.
So whether or not you’re antsy for Thanksgiving, or you just want a slice of stick-to-your-ribs apple pie, save this recipe!
The BEST (and Perfect) Classic Apple Pie
Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel
Recipe type: Pie
This truly is the BEST and most perfect Apple Pie recipe you’ll try! The secret shortcut makes it a breeze to make.
- 2 (14.1 oz) pkgs refrigerated pie crusts, almost to room temperature
- 2 lbs Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & sliced
- 2 lbs Gala or Pink Lady apples, peeled, cored & sliced
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 beaten egg
- Coarse sugar for garnish
- FOR CINNAMON WHIPPED CREAM:
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease a 9″ deep dish pie plate with cooking spray. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together the apples, sugars, spices, and salt. Let sit for 30 minutes, then drain the apple mixture, discarding the liquid. Toss the apples with the cornstarch.
- On a flat, clean work surface, stack two pie crusts together and roll them out with a rolling pin until you get a 12″-13″ circle. Gently drape the pie crust over the pie plate and pat in the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Fill with the apple mixture.
- With the remaining pie crusts, stack again and roll out to about a 10″ circle. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 1″ strips. In a striped pattern, lay the strips a couple centimeters apart on the top of the apple surface. Brush the pie strips lightly with the egg wash. Going in a horizontal pattern, stagger the other pie strips and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle liberally with the coarse sugar.
- Tent the edges of the pie with foil or pie shields, and bake for approximately 15 minutes. Reduce your oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 50-60 minutes more until the top is light golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving.
- To make your cinnamon whipped cream: with a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, whip the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon together on high speed for about 5 minutes or until soft peaks form.
A classic, semi-homemade pie like this never goes out of style!
Have a super sweet day!