A retro recipe that’s here to stay: this Pineapple Upside Down Cake is AMAZING. So supremely moist and soft, with a caramelized pineapple and maraschino cherry topping, it’s perfect for get-togethers, BBQs, potlucks, and any occasion!
You guys – this cake!
I’ve been tinkering around with pineapple upside down cake recipes lately and I had yet to find one I liked. For some, the cake was a little too dry – others, there wasn’t enough pineapple flavor or general pizzazz. I even found one recipe on the internet using dried cranberries in place of the maraschino cherries which is a crime against humanity and threatens the welfare of the world. Yeah, they’re neon red and full of sugar, but maraschino cherries are essential for this cake!
But after some trial and error – and pawning the guinea pig cakes to my apartment complex’s front office – I have found The One. And like when you find your human soulmate, I found my cake soulmate and this is it.
The cake part of this phenomenal piece of heaven is so supremely moist, fluffy and soft with a hint of pineapple flavor. The topping/bottom of the cake is just perfect: gooey, caramelized brown sugary pineapple slices and juicy cherries. The only thing that may be missing from this cake is a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream. Just sayin’.
Whatever you do, promise me you’ll make this cake and love me forever?
The BEST Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel
Recipe type: Cakes/Cupcakes
This Pineapple Upside Down Cake is the BEST recipe I’ve made and tried! The cake itself is moist, soft and tender with a fresh pineapple flavor, and the topping consists of caramelized pineapples and maraschino cherries for ample flavor!
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 5-7 pineapple rings, drained and juice reserved
- Maraschino cherries (without stems)
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 & ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup full-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ round cake pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar and pour the mixture into the bottom of the cake pan, spreading it out evenly. Arrange the pineapple rings around the pan and place maraschino cherries in between. Set aside briefly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the oil and granulated sugar until moistened. Beat in the egg, salt, baking powder, and vanilla until combined. Beat in the sour cream. Gradually add some of the milk, alternating with the flour until a soft batter comes together. Gently beat in the pineapple juice last.
- Carefully pour the batter over the pineapples in the pan, careful not to disturb their placement. Bake for approx. 40-45 minutes or until the cake appears set, is light golden brown, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool for 10-15 minutes, then very carefully invert the cake onto a platter or plate. Serve warm or room temperature.
I made this cake a couple weeks ago and I have had an actual dream about it since then – it’s that good.
Have a super sweet day!