Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4
A quick and easy creamy asparagus soup!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, asparagus and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the asparagus and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the basil and lemon zest and puree the soup with a hand blender, or in a food processor, or in a blender, until smooth before returning it to the saucepan.
- Add the cream, cheese, and miso paste, mix well and let cook until the cheese has melted into the sauce, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Option: Use butter instead of oil.
Option: Use a leek instead of an onion.
Option: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes along with the garlic for some heat!
Option: Use a different cheese such as asiago, grana padano, pecorino romano, gruyere, cheddar, brie, etc.
Option: Use cauliflower instead of potatoes.
Option: Use a different herb instead of the basil, such as parsley, dill etc.
Option: Add toasted pine nuts, both pureed with the soup and as a garnish on top.
Option: Use milk, yogurt, sour cream cottage cheese, etc instead of cream.
Option: Add extra flavours like morel mushrooms, garlic scapes, etc.
Option: Add garnished such as crispy bacon, prosciutto, croutons, etc.