Ingredients: 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature,1 cup plus 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar,1 cup plus 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar,1 tablespoon grated lemon zest,1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract,1 large egg,2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour,3/4 teaspoon baking powder,1/4 teaspoon baking soda,1/2 teaspoon coarse salt,1 cup whole milk,3/4 cup heavy cream,1 cup fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, 1 cup brown sugar, and lemon zest until light and creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat to combine, scraping down bowl as needed. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk and ending with flour mixture (scrape bowl as needed.) Beat well to combine.
- Drop batter in 2-tablespoon mounds about 2 inches apart, onto two parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake until puffed and pale golden around edges, 17 to 19 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.
- Let cakes cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, whip cream and 3 tablespoons brown sugar to soft peaks. In a small bowl, mash blackberries with a fork, then fold into whipped cream. Divide blackberry cream evenly among bottom of half the cake, then sandwich with remaining cakes.