Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
Prep Time:15 minutes Cook Time:30 minutes Total Time:45 minutes Servings: 6
A creamy fall mac and cheese with butternut squash puree and sage!
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk (or broth)
- 2 cups cheese, shredded*
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (or pumpkin puree)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook until it starts to turn a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkling in the flour, mix in the garlic and sage and cook, mixing, until it turns a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, bring to a simmer, mixing, and cook until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the cheese and let it melt into the sauce.
- Mix in the nutmeg, mustard, and butternut squash puree before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Mix the pasta into the sauce, optionally adding some of the reserved cooking water to thin the sauce out, if desired.
Option: Use your favourite cheese or combination of cheeses. I like strong cheddar or gruyere, fontiona, etc. along with parmesan, pecorino, etc. Blue cheese is amazing with butternut squash!
Option: Add 4 ounces cream cheese in addition to the shredded cheese!
Option: Top with a crispy breadcrumb topping! (Melt 1/4 cup butt in a pan, add 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, mix and cook until lightly golden brown before sprinkling over the mac and cheese!
Option: Garnish with crispy butter fried sage!
Option: Garnish with bacon, or pancetta, or sausage, or shredded pepperoni! (Fried until crispy!)
Option: Garnish with sauteed mushrooms!
Option: Garnish with pepitas!