Your holiday table needs this CANDIED WALNUTS AND BACON BAKED BRIE BREAD BOWL! The ultimate pretty savory appetizer cheese lovers will devour!
Melty ooey gooey BAKED BRIE! The ultimate classy starter for any party, especially a holiday party, is here to make all your cheese lovin dreams come true. I have made recipes with brie before, both Apple Pie Baked Brie and Mini Apricot Brie Bites, but never have I made a cheesy recipe this decadent, easy, or fun. It may be the piled on bacon bits. It may be the brown sugar candied walnuts. It may be the crusty garlic butter bread bowl. Or it may all just work together perfectly for the most awesome holiday appetizer I’ve ever made. Are you ready?
This “Blooming Baked Brie” wouldn’t be complete without the Easy Candied Walnuts baked right into the cheese and sprinkled on top. Talk about DELICIOUS! I’m so excited to be partnering with California Walnuts this year, and this bite sized holiday treat is my first of 6 recipes. Did you know just 1 ounce of walnuts is packed with 4 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, and 2.5 grams of plant based omega alpha-linolenic acid (Walnuts are the only nut that contain significant amounts of this beneficial nutrient!) I love their rich flavor and versatility. You can use walnuts as a flour in baking, as a topping in appetizers like this Baked Brie Bread Bowl, as a relish or pesto, and SO MUCH MORE. It’s going to be a fun year coming up with some creative walnut recipes to bring you. YUM!
I love that this Candied Walnuts and Bacon Baked Brie Bread Bowl is dip AND dipper in one. Just break off the pieces of bread and dip into the melty pool of cheese sitting in the middle. Be sure to get lots of bacon and walnuts on your piece of heaven. You might want to make more than one of these for your next party!
Can you believe the holiday season is here??! I CANNOT. Henry’s first Thanksgiving and Christmas. AAHH! It’s going so fast. I need to go eat more cheese to ease the pain.
Candied Walnuts and Bacon Baked Brie Bread Bowl
- 1 medium round loaf of bread, I prefer sourdough
- 1 round block brie cheese, rind removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts (click HERE to find the recipe), plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup bacon crumbles, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a small baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Cut the top of the bread bowl off and set aside. Place the brie on the bread and use a paring knife to cut into the bread around the cheese (to create the hole for the cheese). Cut about an inch into the bread. Use your fingers to hollow out the hole for the brie. Use the knife to cut slits around the perimeter of the bread, but be sure not to cut all the way to the middle. Leave a bit of bread as to keep the shape in tact. You will tear off these pieces later to dip into the cheese.
- Mix the melted butter and garlic salt in a small bowl. Drizzle the butter over the bread bowl, onto the sides and into the middle. Sprinkle with more herbs if you have favorites.
- Set the brie down into the bread bowl (make sure you’ve removed the casing). Top with the walnuts and bacon and then mozzarella. Top with the top of the bread.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the bread is crispy and toasted and the cheese is fully melted. Once you remove the top, you can garnish with more walnuts and bacon.
- Tear off the side pieces of bread and dip into the cheese for the perfect appetizer!