Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:50 minutes Total Time:1 hour Servings: 4
A super easy take on chicken cordon bleu where chicken is topped with ham, swiss cheese, a tasty mustard sauce and breadcrumbs before being baked until golden brown, crispy, and all sorts of good!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper taste
- 1 pound chicken
- 1/4 pound deli sliced ham
- 1/4 pound deli sliced swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until it just starts to brown, before sprinkling in the flour, mixing and cooking until it just starts to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and milk, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes, before mixing in the lemon juice, mustards, miso paste, paprika, salt and pepper and removing from the heat.
- Place the chicken breasts in a single layer in a baking pan, top with the ham followed by the cheese, and the sauce.
- Melt the butter, mix in the breadcrumbs followed by the parmesan and sprinkle it over the chicken in the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the chicken is cooked through, the breadcrumbs are golden, and the sides are bubbling, about 30-40 minutes.