Chickpea, Spinach and Herb Stew
Prep Time:5 minutes Cook Time:25 minutes Total Time:30 minutes Servings: 4
A chickpea and spinach stew with turmeric, cayenne, lemon and plenty of fresh herbs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 3 (14.5 counce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chickpeas, and turmeric and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach, parsley, cilantro, dill, lemon juice and zest and cook until the spinach wilts, about a minute.
- Serve garnished with mint.
Option: Use kale or swiss chard instead of spinach. (If you use kale you can massage it before adding to the stew to make it more tender.)
Option: Use your favourite combo of herbs.
Option: Serve with cooked rice.
Option: Serve garnished with plain yogurt.