Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 4
A smooth and creamy sweet potato soup with a hint of smoky chipotle chilies!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange, yellow or green), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped*
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, cumin, and paprika and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes and oregano, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree some or all of the sweet potatoes in the soup before seasoning with lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the cilantro and enjoy!
Note: *You can control the spicy heat with the chipotle chili peppers. Use less if you want it milder and use more if you want it hotter!
Option: Garnish with pepitas!
Option: Garnish with cheese: queso fresco, monterey jack, cheddar, feta, etc.
Option: Garnish with crispy fried chorizo sausage!
Option: Garnish with crispy fried bacon!
Option: Add 1 (14 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed!
Option: Add 1/2 cup of quinoa and an extra cup of broth and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
Option: Add 1/2 cup of lentils and an extra cup of broth and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
Option: Add 2 cups of chopped baby spinach and the end,. mixing it in and letting it wilt.