Chocolate Chip Pancakes-these light and fluffy homemade pancakes are dotted with chocolate chips, making them the perfect breakfast for a special occasion or any day!
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Do you want to see a BIG smile on a sleepy face? Tell someone you’re making Chocolate Chip Pancakes first thing in the morning! My chocolate chip pancake recipe makes fluffy, sweet pancakes with bits of melted chocolate scattered throughout. It’s a true weekend morning dream come true…or any morning! I think chocolate for breakfast is always a good idea!
Chocolate Chip Pancake Ingredients
You likely already have most of these ingredients in your kitchen ready to go!
- Flour-Use all-purpose flour. If you need the pancakes to be gluten-free you can use all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Sugar-Sweeten the hot cakes with a little granulated sugar!
- Baking powder AND Baking Soda-To make the pancakes rise! Check the expiration date to make sure they are fresh.
- Salt-Salt is always important!
- Buttermilk-Make sure the buttermilk is at room temperature!
- Butter-I use unsalted butter. The butter gives the pancakes a rich flavor!
- Eggs-You need 2 large eggs!
- Vanilla Extract-Pure vanilla extract is the best!
- Chocolate Chips-I use semi-sweet chocolate chips. Guittard are my favorite. You can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even mini chocolate chips!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pancakes
It’s a classic pancake recipe! Here’s how I get perfect, golden pancakes every time…
- Start with your dry ingredients! Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Now the wet ingredients: buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla get mixed in a medium bowl. Pour this over the whisked dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined. The batter will be lumpy, but don’t keep mixing! If you over mix your pancakes will be tough and not light and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Remembering NOT to over mix!
- Let the batter sit for 5 minutes. Resting the batter lets the gluten relax and the lumps will smooth out slightly.
- Add a dollop of butter to your hot griddle or skillet and spread it around until it’s melted and your surface is greased.
- I’ve found that ¼ cup is just right for pancakes. Use a measuring cup to spoon the batter onto the hot skillet or griddle. Cook until small bubbles form across the tops of the pancakes, which should take about 3 minutes.
- Now we flip! Cook the other side until golden brown and repeat until you’ve used all the batter. Serve them warm with butter, maple syrup, or any toppings you love.
Mmm, pancake toppings! I love all of the different options. Get creative and top your top your Chocolate Chip Pancakes with:
- Butter-more is MORE!
- Maple syrup-pure maple syrup is my fave!
- Strawberries-strawberries and chocolate, a match made in heaven!
- Raspberries-my boy’s favorite!
- Peanut butter-have you tried peanut butter on pancakes? SO good!
- Jam-spread your favorite jam on top of a hot cake!
- Whipped cream-breakfast or dessert? Who cares:)
What to Serve with Chocolate Chip Pancakes
…or any of your favorite breakfast foods! Or you can just eat a big stack of pancakes! That is the perfect breakfast if you ask me:)
More Breakfast Recipes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled, plus more for cooking
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- For serving: butter and maple syrup, if desired
To keep pancakes warm, place in a single layer on a large baking sheet and place in a 200°F oven.
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Amount Per Serving
Calories 460 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 11g55%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photos by Dishing Out Health