Transform a store-bought favorite into the easiest, cheesiest recipe for Crispy Parmesan Gnocchi perfect for dunking into marinara sauce or pesto.
Crispy Roasted Parmesan Potatoes were a viral sensation for a reason: they’re fast and easy to make, and even faster and easier to eat. But what happens when you upgrade your potatoes to… potato gnocchi? You get the ultimate mashup of pillowy soft potato dumplings, extra-crispy cheese and all the salty, cheesy, chewy deliciousness imaginable.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Four simple ingredients.
- Crispy, cheesy, pillowy gnocchi perfection.
- Versatile. Dip and dunk this appetizer-slash-snack in marinara, pesto or vodka sauce.
- Easy to customize. Toss in extra herbs like rosemary or thyme.
- A store-bought shortcut recipe at its finest!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Store-Bought Gnocchi: Refrigerated or shelf-stable gnocchi both work great in this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated Parmesan melts best and will create the laciest, crispiest crunch.
- Chives: Finely chopped chives lend oniony flavor but aren’t essential.
- Unsalted Butter: Emphasis on “unsalted!” Parmesan is naturally salty, so omit any additional salt when it comes to butter.
How to Make Crispy Parmesan Gnocchi
- Boil the gnocchi. The gnocchi will cook in 2 to 3 minutes (depending on the brand). It’s important to then drain them and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet to cool and dry out for about 10 minutes.
Pro Tip: You can tell the gnocchi are cooked perfectly when they begin to float in the salted water.
- Make the Parmesan mixture. Combine the Parmesan cheese, chives and butter directly in the baking dish. It will be a paste-like consistency, which you spread evenly in the baking pan.
- Arrange the gnocchi and roast. Lay out the gnocchi side by side in a single layer then pop the baking pan in the oven just until the Parmesan cheese is golden and crispy.
- Let it cool. It’s important to let the gnocchi cool completely once you remove them from the oven. This ensures the cheese will be extra-crispy.
Pro Tips for Recipe Success
- Don’t overcook the gnocchi when you are boiling them. They really only take 2 to 3 minutes to cook.
- Don’t add more salt to the recipe. The Parmesan will do all the seasoning you need!
- Get creative with dipping sauces, from pesto to marinara and every pasta sauce in between.
Frequently Asked Questions
Larger pieces of Parmesan can be freshly grated using a microplane, a box grater or a food processor.
Yes! You can definitely use homemade gnocchi in this recipe, however it will be less dense than most store-bought versions so you will need to adjust the boiling time.
Absolutely. The recipe can be made up to one day in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. The gnocchi can be re-crisped in the oven or an air fryer.
More Recipes to Make with Gnocchi
Craving more? Subscribe to Just a Taste to get new recipes, meal plans and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Slice the asparagus into 2-inch pieces and add them to the boiling water for 1 minute then remove them and immediately rinse them under cold water. (Keep the pot of salted water at a boil.)
Reserve some of the tips of the asparagus to use as garnish. Add the rest of the asparagus to a blender, along with the toasted pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend the ingredients for 10 to 15 seconds, then with the blender still running, slowly stream in the olive oil until the mixture is well-blended, scraping down the sides as needed. Transfer the pesto to a bowl and season it with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the pasta to the boiling salted water and cook until al dente. Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl, add the pesto and reserved asparagus spears, tossing to combine. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Calories: 515kcal, Carbohydrates: 60g, Protein: 14g, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Sodium: 96mg, Potassium: 363mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 617IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 101mg, Iron: 3mg