This easy Crock Pot White Chicken Chili recipe is packed with all the Southwestern flavors that we love, and it is beyond delicious! Healthy and chock full of chicken, corn, beans, plus beer, for good measure.
It’s time for cheelee! Ain’t that the way you say it? Chee-lee? Or is it Chill-Y?
Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Who doesn’t love chili? Especially during these chilly winter nights. Besides being simple to make and incredibly delicious, I love how healthy and hearty it can be.
Meanwhile, if you hadn’t noticed, I manufacture a million ways to ensure that I get to use my slow cooker at least thrice a week. Not only does it help with my dinner-time sanity, but it also gives me delicious material to share with you!
What is White Chicken Chili?
White chili is made using beans, chicken, broth, and green chili peppers. The dish appears white when cooked and is more of a soup rather than a thickened stew. A white cheese, such as Monterey Jack, or sour cream are often added when served.
Ingredients for White Chicken Chili
The ingredients for this Crock Pot White Chicken Chili recipe make it simple to have a healthy meal without all the fuss.
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Yellow Onion
- Great Northern Beans
- Green Chiles
Chili Toppings (optional, but HIGHLY recommended)
- Sour Cream
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
This recipe is simple simple simple. Sooooo simple. It’s almost, like, throwing it all in the pot and walking away for hours! Which is, um, exactly the way it is! No chicken browning, no onion sautéeing – it all goes in the crock pot at the same time. Come back a few hours later, shred thy chicken and dig in.
- First, we start by placing the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Next, we add chicken broth, beer, onion, garlic, beans, green chilies, and corn.
- Then, stir in cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 3.5 to 4 hours ON HIGH, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Or cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or until chicken is done.
- When done cooking, remove chicken breasts from the pot and shred; set aside.
- Transfer about 1 cup of the soup into a blender and process until blended; stir it back into the soup until thoroughly combined.
- Stir shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Finally, ladle chili into bowls and garnish with avocado, jalapeno slices, sour cream, and cilantro. Serve.
How to Store Chili
- White Chicken Chili can be stored in an airtight container and kept in your fridge for up to 4 days. This makes it perfect for meal prepping for the week.
Can I Freeze Chili
- Yes, you can also freeze white chicken chili. Simply cool the soup and then place it in an airtight freezer-safe storage container or heavy-duty freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
COOKING TIPS FOR WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
If you want a great white chicken chili, you’ll definitely want to follow a few of my tips:
- Beer type: I use whatever I have on hand, but Dos Equis is great! Modelo Negra is a good choice, as well as Guinness or Samuel Adams, perhaps.
- Heat Levels: There are several heat levels for diced green chiles, so be sure you’re getting the one you really want. The hot versions can be pretty spicy.
- Toppings: like most chilis, you can top this recipe with tortilla strips, avocados, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, green onions, and jalapenos.
Should chili be thick or soupy?
- Chili should be thicker and hearty enough to be a meal on its own, but sometimes there’s just a bit more liquid than you want in the pot. For this reason, I like to ladle out a cup of the cooked chili and process it in a blender until completely blended. Then, just take the blended chili and stir it back into the pot with the rest of the chili.
If you want a thicker chili, you can also make a cornstarch slurry:
- Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water in a small bowl; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stir the cornstarch slurry into the warm chili and heat over medium to medium-high heat until the mixture bubbles and thickens.
MORE CHILI RECIPES
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
Packed with all the Southwestern flavors that we love, this crock pot chicken chili recipe is beyond delicious! Healthy & chock full of chicken, corn, and beans. Beer, too, for good measure.
Course: Dinner, Side Dish
Cuisine: American, American/Southwest
Servings: 6 serves
Calories: 160 kcal
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Dos Equis beer
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15-ounces, each) low sodium Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) green chilies
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- lime wedges, for serving
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced, for garnish
- jalapenos slices, for garnish, optional
- sour cream, for garnish, optional
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Place chicken on the bottom of your slow cooker.
Add chicken broth, beer, onion, garlic, beans, green chilies, and corn.
Stir in cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook for 3.5 to 4 hours ON HIGH, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Or cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or until chicken is done.
Remove chicken breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board; let cool for a few minutes.
Shred chicken and set aside.
Transfer about 1 cup of the soup into a blender and process until blended; stir it back into the soup until thoroughly combined.
Stir shredded chicken back into the soup.
Ladle chili into bowls; serve with lime wedges and garnish with avocado, jalapeno slices, sour cream, and cilantro.
- WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 1 (DOES NOT include toppings)
- NET CARBS: 10 g
Note that Nutrition Analysis does not include Toppings.
Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
Amount Per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Vitamin A 109IU2%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Want To Save This Recipe?