Easy Black Bean Soup-A simple and healthy soup made with canned black beans and everyday ingredients! This flavorful black bean soup is vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian.
Black Bean Soup
Black beans are my favorite beans and I especially love them in this Easy Black Bean Soup. It is filled with healthy ingredients and seasoned to perfection. And the best part? This recipe is made with everyday basic ingredients, that I bet you already have on hand.
This soup is perfect for lunch, busy weeknights, or feeding a hungry crowd. Our entire family loves this soup and we all get excited when it’s on the menu! It hits the spot every time.
Canned Black Beans
This Black Bean Soup is EASY because I use canned black beans! You don’t have to go through all the hassle of cooking your own beans to have a delicious homemade soup. Canned black beans are a quick and affordable way to get a really yummy soup on the table in no time!
How to Make Black Bean Soup
This is a really easy soup recipe that comes together in no time at all. Let’s make some soup!
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Start with the veggies that will need the most time: onion, carrot, celery, and red pepper. So many beautiful colors right off the bat!
- Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes, until everything is tender, and then add in the garlic. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now liquid! Pour in the vegetable broth, then stir in the rinsed and drained black beans, and toss some seasonings in: cumin, oregano, a bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat way down and let it simmer for 25 minutes. I told you it was easy!
Thickening Black Bean Soup
You can enjoy the black bean soup as is, but I like to thicken it up a little.
Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to puree a little bit of the soup. This gives it a thicker consistency, but don’t blend it completely smooth! You want to still have whole black beans throughout.
If you don’t have an immersion blender you can transfer some of the soup into your blender, pulse it, and pour it back into the pot with the rest of the soup.
Black Bean Soup Toppings
Most of your favorite Mexican food toppings would be delicious on Black Bean Soup! You could put out:
What to Serve with Black Bean Soup
If you are looking for side dishes to go with your big pot of black bean soup, here are a few of our favorites!
How to Store
You can keep leftover black bean soup in a container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Black bean soup also freezes beautifully. Pour room temperature soup into a freezer container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Make sure you label and date your soup so you know what it is!
More Soup Recipes:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 60 oz (4 cans) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Garnish options: avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, sliced green onion
Easy Black Bean Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 428 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
gluten free, vegan, vegetarian
Photos by Dishing Out Health