Made with almond flour, real butter, and plenty of chocolate chips, these Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies are a mouthwatering treat you can feel great about! These cookies are perfect for Christmas, your New Year’s resolutions, or anytime you need to satisfy a sweet tooth.
MY FAVORITE KETO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
The low carb and keto diets are so popular these days, and for good reason! Keto followers report so many health benefits, from weight loss and improved energy, to clearer skin and better sleep.
But, as with all diets, it can feel somewhat restrictive, which is why I love these keto cookies THIS much! 🤗 They have an awesome taste and texture, and really taste like a chocolate chip cookie should.
WHAT MAKES THESE COOKIES KETO? ARE THEY LOW CARB?
Because these cookies are made without flour or sugar, they are indeed low-carb and keto-friendly. Instead of regular flour, the base of these yummy treats is almond flour, which has a wonderful mild taste and pleasant texture, just right for a chocolate chip cookie.
- Eggs: To bind the cookie dough together, you’ll need 2 large eggs.
- Butter: You’ll need one whole stick (8 tablespoons) of unsalted butter, melted.
- Vanilla: I like to use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Swerve: To keep things keto-friendly, use half a cup of Swerve granulated sugar substitute (or any other granulated sweetener).
- Almond Flour: This gives the cookies a wonderful flavor and nice texture. Blanched or unblanched is fine.
- Baking Powder: Make sure to use baking powder, rather than baking soda.
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips: You’ll need ¾ of a cup of sugar-free chocolate chips.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Combine the Wet Ingredients and Sweetener. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, and vanilla, along with the sweetener.
- Combine the Dry Ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk to incorporate.
- Combine the Wet and Dry Ingredients and the Chocolate Chips. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until well mixed. Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Shape and Bake the Cookies. Pinch off pieces of cookie dough to make 2-inch balls. Transfer the cookie balls to a prepared baking sheet, and arrange them 3-inches apart. Then, using your hands, or the bottom of a drinking glass, flatten the cookie balls. Note that the cookies won’t spread while baking, so they will be the size and shape that you see before they were baked.
- Bake the cookies at 350˚F for about 14 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool and Serve. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them stand on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, before transferring them to a plate. Serve when cool.
TIPS FOR THE BEST KETO COOKIES
- Handle Carefully. Like many cookies, these are very fragile and soft just out of the oven, and for a few minutes afterward. Move them very carefully with a thin spatula, to avoid crumpling them up. Once they cool down to room temperature or slightly above, they will be firmer and easy to hold.
- Almond Flour Substitute: If you need an almond-flour substitute, I don’t really recommend coconut flour, because it has a very specific texture and liquid ratio in baking. Sunflower seed meal can work though. If you can’t find that in stores near you, try ordering online!
- Flatten Before Baking: These cookies have to be flattened a bit (½ to ⅓ inch is fine) before baking, because they don’t spread out much. But they do spread somewhat, so make sure to leave a little space between.
HEALTHY MIX-IN IDEAS
What else could you add to these awesome cookies? How about:
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Sugar-free M&M-style candies or mini peanut butter cups
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- And whatever other goodies you might have on hand!
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE KETO COOKIES
- You can refrigerate these chocolate chip cookies in airtight containers for up to a week.
CAN I FREEZE THESE COOKIES?
- Yes, these chocolate chip cookies freeze well! Place on a baking sheet and freeze until frozen solid. Then, place in freezer containers or freezer bags, and put them back in the freezer.
- Thaw on the countertop.
Tools Used in this Recipe
LOW CARB/KETO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Made with real butter, almond flour, and chocolate chips, these keto-friendly chocolate chip cookies are the perfect healthy treat!
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Line a baking sheet or cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, butter, and vanilla.
Whisk in the sweetener.
In a separate bowl combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk to incorporate.
Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Pinch off enough cookie dough to make about 1 ½-inch balls.
Transfer cookie balls to prepared baking sheet and arrange them 3-inches apart.
Using the palm of your hands, or the bottom of a drinking glass, flatten the cookie balls to desired size. The cookies will not spread while baking.
Bake cookies for 14 minutes, or until golden on top. Start checking for doneness at around the 12-minute mark.
Remove from oven and let stand on baking sheet for 2 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
LOW CARB/KETO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Amount Per Serving (1 cookie)
Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g25%
Vitamin A 182IU4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Keywords: healthy desserts, keto desserts, keto cookies, almond flour cookies, keto chocolate chip cookies, low carb cookies