Easy Mozzarella Chicken is a low carb dream!
Seasoned chicken simmered in a homemade tomato sauce, topped with melted mozzarella cheese, this is the BEST Easy Mozzarella Chicken recipe that happens to be exactly what it claims to be… EASY! A 20-minute Low Carb Chicken Parmesan WITH NO BREADING! You don’t even MISS a crispy crumb on this chicken…it is SO good!
A step up from my original Mozzarella Chicken with a 3-ingredient sauce , this one is ten times better. It’s all about the homemade tomato sauce filled with so much flavour!
Unlike my original recipe of using jarred pasta or marinara sauce on a rushing-to-get-dinner-on-the-table kind of day, this recipe uses a tomato sauce made from scratch. We are only adding 5 extra minutes of cooking time in this recipe, and honestly, it’s well worth it when you get a beautiful, rich sauce soaking into your chicken breasts to make them that much more succulent and tasty.
How To Make This Easy Mozzarella Chicken Recipe
You are 5 simple steps away form the BEST Mozzarella Chicken!
- Season chicken
- Sear then remove
- Make sauce in the same pan
- Add chicken back into the pan, top with cheese
- Broil (or grill for those of us Aussies!)
The secret totally lies in the 5 major ingredients in this sauce. So much better than store bought stuff!
- Onion (or a brown shallot)
- Garlic (because you know me by now)
- Fire roasted peppers (YES! They add an AMAZING flag our to this sauce! If you can’t get them, use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil — oil drained)
- Crushed tomatoes (fresh or canned — you can also use a tomato puree or Passata)
- Tomato paste — I use garlic and herb flavoured. Don’t skip this, it makes your sauce nice and thick.
- Pinch of red pepper flakes for a nice and subtle flavour bomb
The recipe includes broiling the cheese at the end for a nice crisp, golden and bubbling cheese result. If you don’t want to turn on your oven, you can throw a lid on your pan and allow to cheese to melt that way while simmering on the stove. I prefer broiling (our grilling for Aussies), because you can’t beat the result crispy melted mozzarella cheese!
And then…The BEST Easy Mozzarella Chicken Recipe!
Easy Mozzarella Chicken (Low Carb Chicken Parma)
Easy Mozzarella Chicken is a low carb dream! Seasoned chicken simmered in a homemade tomato sauce, topped with melted mozzarella cheese! A 20-minute Low Carb Chicken Parmesan WITH NO BREADING! You don’t even MISS a crispy crumb on this chicken. It is SO good!
- 4 5-ounce (150 gram) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, (to season)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 fire roasted pepper, ((fire roasted capsicum), chopped)
- 15- ounces 425 grams crushed tomatoes, (OR tomato puree (Passata))
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, (garlic and herb flavoured if possible)
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (OPTIONAL)
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, (to garnish)
Arrange oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Preheat broiler (or grill in Australia) on medium heat.
- Season chicken with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 8 minutes, then flip and season other side.
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through (about 8 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
Cook the onion in the same pan until transparent (about 3-4 minutes) scraping any browned bits form the bottom of the pan, then add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the fire roasted pepper (or capsicum), crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed red pepper flakes (if including) and remaining Italian seasoning. Give it a good stir to mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken while stirring occasionally (about 4 minutes).
- Arrange the chicken in the sauce and top each breast with 2-3 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese per breast. Transfer to the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese in browned and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
After More Mozzarella Recipes?
The post Easy Mozzarella Chicken Recipe (Low Carb Chicken Parm) appeared first on Cafe Delites.