Fluffy whole wheat zucchini bread pancakes with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. These pancakes taste like a slice of your favorite classic zucchini bread. Add chocolate chips or pecans if you’d like!
I know I said that I was going to bring you a savory recipe today, but pancakes were on my mind. So what’s a girl to do but bring ya the goods.
Side note: I just started watching This is Us and I’m completely obsessed. I know I’m a little late to the game, but after getting Hulu (strictly for Handmaid’s Tale), I found myself searching for other good shows. AND THIS IS US IS SO GOOD.
Anyway, pancakes here we are. I asked a bunch of you on Insta (<— follow me!) what you wanted for another zucchini recipe and many of you said pancakes and zucchini bread. So I thought why not combine the two and make a beautiful breakfast combo?
Pancakes that taste like bread. Zucchini Bread Pancakes to be exact.
They’re slightly sweet with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg,
Made with whole grains.
Packed with fiber thanks to zucchini.
My goodness they are GOOD!
Now what you top them with is up to you. I always go with peanut butter (or my homemade pecan butter would be amazing) and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Keepin’ it classic.
I hope you get a chance to make these fluffy pancakes this weekend. xo!
Fluffy Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread Pancakes
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serves: 4 servings, 2 pancakes each
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe (2 pancakes)
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 32.8g
- Sugar: 7.9g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 5g
Recipe type: Pancakes, Breakfast
- For the dry ingredients:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the wet ingredients:
- 1 heaping cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture with a paper towel (from 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon melted and cooled coconut oil (or sub melted butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Optional: ¼ cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine shredded zucchini, egg, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and almond milk until smooth and well combined. Fold in pecans if using. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. If the batter looks too thick add just a splash more milk. If it’s way to wet, add another tablespoon of flour.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with coconut oil or butter and place over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/3 cup onto skillet and spread out a bit with a spoon if necessary. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more coconut oil (or butter) and remaining batter. You may need to reduce the heat after the second batch to prevent burning. Serves 4, 2 pancakes each.