General Tso’s Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
A quick and easy version of the classic Chinese takeout General Tso’s chicken, only better!
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons oil (peanut or vegetable)
- 8 dried red chilies (such as chilies de arbol)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chinkiang vinegar (Chinese black vinegar) (or rice wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Mix the chicken into the egg until fully coated before mixing in the corn starch until just evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, separate, and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the dried red chilies, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mixture of the broth, sugar, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, chili sauce and cornstarch, bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens a bit, about a minute.
- Add the chicken, toss to coat, remove from heat, mix in the sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy over rice or noodles
Option: Omit the cornstarch and egg batter for a lighter version. (Also cut down to 1 tablespoon of oil from 2.)
Option: Replace the dark soy sauce and/or light soy sauce with the soy sauce that you already have if you do not have or cannot find them.
Option: Add some veggies, such as snap peas, sugar peas, diced bell peppers, broccoli, etc.
Option: Start cooking rice before you start making the General Tso’s chicken and it will be ready at about the same time!