Homemade BBQ Sauce is easy to make at home with ingredients you already have on hand. You will never buy store bought BBQ sauce after you try this sweet, tangy, and delicious BBQ sauce!
Did you know you can make BBQ Sauce at home? Yep, and it is SO easy! Josh has been making his own BBQ sauce for years and the other day he asked me why his special homemade BBQ sauce hasn’t made it to the blog. I didn’t have an answer, I guess we have been too busy sharing other delicious recipes, no real reason. I promise I wasn’t trying to hide his easy BBQ sauce recipe:)
So today is the day, we are going to teach you how to make BBQ sauce in your own kitchen. You will never buy store bought sauce again!
How to Make BBQ Sauce
- Josh’s BBQ sauce is simple to make and made with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator. A lot of BBQ sauces start with ketchup, but Josh uses tomato sauce and tomato paste to avoid added sugars. This homemade BBQ sauce without ketchup is just as easy as using ketchup but even BETTER!
- Josh’s BBQ sauce does have a secret ingredient, pineapple juice. Josh’s favorite BBQ Chicken Pizza has pineapple on it so Josh decided to try adding pineapple juice to his BBQ sauce and it was the perfect addition. It adds a nice sweetness and flavor.
- Josh likes his BBQ sauce to have a little kick so he uses jalapeño and cayenne pepper. If you want the sauce to be on the milder side you could leave out one or both. But note-even with both it isn’t super spicy, they just add a nice little kick, so don’t be too afraid:)
- To make the BBQ sauce, put all of the ingredients in a large skillet and heat until the flavors come together and it reduces just a little bit.
The BBQ sauce is sweet, tangy, with a little bit of spice, it is the perfect BBQ sauce and so easy to make at home! This easy BBQ sauce is perfect for marinating, grilling, and dipping. It is great for ribs, chicken, pulled pork, pizza, salads, and more!
The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You will never buy store bought barbecue sauce again!
And Josh insists you try his BBQ Chicken Pizza or his easy BBQ French Bread Pizza.
And stay tuned because we have a great game day recipe that uses this BBQ sauce coming your way on Wednesday. You don’t want to miss it!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
This easy homemade BBQ sauce is sweet, tangy, with a little spice. It is great for grilling, marinating, and dipping. You will never buy store bought BBQ sauce again. Homemade is the way to go!
Yield: About 2 cups sauce
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, whisk together the tomato sauce, jalapeño, brown sugar, molasses, pineapple juice, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, dried mustard, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over medium high heat and reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Use the sauce immediately or store in the refrigerator in a jar or container for up to 2 weeks.
All images and text © .
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!