Honey Chipotle Skillet Chicken is jam packed with flavor, SUPER easy and made just about 20 minutes.
I have been over on my Instagram stories lately “polling” you guys. I want ALL your opinions. And luckily, you like to give them! I am planning out my 2018 recipes, and as it turns out, while you all LOVE your sweets (obvi), you do want to eat real food too.
When I asked what you would like to see more of in the new year, you were fairly split down the middle between sweet and savory…which I actually LOVE! I have been so dessert heavy here for (almost) 10 years, I am ready to give you guys more of what you are looking for. An equal 50/50 split of desserts to non-sweets.
Ok, maybe not 50/50. I don’t want to make promises I can’t keep.
But anyway, I plan on sharing at least one new savory recipe a week. Dishes that MY family love, which I hope your family will love too. I will be honest with you, I have gotten a little lazy this past year with dinner, and I think together we can get me out of my dinner rut. What do you think?
So let’s get the party started with not only a crazy easy dish, but one that is so loaded with flavor you will be eating it right out of the skillet. I love this stuff.
Like I said, this is so so easy and fast. I used my cast iron skillet for this one, because it really heats evenly and gives the chicken a nice brown color.
First just whisk together a quick dry rub to rub all over your chicken thighs. Also, yes, you can use boneless breasts if you prefer. ANNNND yes, if you don’t like any spice, you can use BBQ sauce in place of Chipotle in Adobo. Easy peasy.
Next, whisk together your Honey Chipotle Sauce. It’s just honey, apple cider vinegar, adobo sauce, and garlic. I chop up some of the chipotles that are in the can of Chipotles in Adobo to add a little extra spice.
Heat your skillet to high heat and brown the chicken on one side…flip it over and turn the heat down to cook the other side. When the chicken is cooked add in your sauce and let it cook for a few minutes to thicken up.
Coat your chicken with the sauce, because FLAVORRRR!
And then garnish it with a little cilantro or parsley.
You can serve this with rice, a salad, or with mashed potatoes!
This is a simple dish, a little sweet, a little spicy and packed with flavor that takes about 20 minutes to make from start to finish!
2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
Honey Chipotle Sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup adobo sauce, from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers from the same can of chipotles in adobo, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
optional – cilantro or parsley to garnish
- Trim the excess fat from the chicken thighs and pat dry.
- In a small bowl mix all the dry rub ingredients together. Coat the chicken with the dry rub and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the ingredients for the Honey Chipotle sauce. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet to high heat. Place chicken into the heated skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken has a nice browned color on one side. Flip the chicken and turn the heat down to medium and continue cooking for 7-8 minutes, or until the chicken os cooked through.
- Turn the heat down to low and drizzle the Honey Chipotle Sauce on top of the chicken. Allow the sauce to cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened. Flip the chicken over int he sauce, so both sides get coated.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley if desired. Serve immediately.
You can use chicken breasts in place of the thighs if you prefer.
If you don’t love Adobo Sauce you can sub in BBQ sauce in its place and omit the chipotle peppers.