Ingredients: 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken drumsticks [bone in works best],1 tablespoon canola oil for brushing,3/4 cup plain yogurt,1 tablespoon lemon juice [preferably freshly squeezed],2 teaspoons Red chili powder [or Cayenne powder] (as per taste),1 teaspoon oil,1 1/2 teaspoons dry coriander powder,1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic paste,1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger paste,1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder,2 teaspoons dry fenugreek leaves [kasuri methi, available at indian stores],1/2 teaspoon ground cumin powder,1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon,Salt to taste,Few drops of orange food color [optional]
- Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly & pat dry with a paper towel.
- Make incisions with a sharp knife on thick parts of the chicken pieces deep enough to reach the bone.
- Apply a mixture one tablespoon lemon juice and salt over the chicken and set aside for half an hour.
- For the marinade, tie up yogurt in a piece of muslin /cheese cloth and hang over a bowl for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Remove the thick yogurt into another bowl. Beat the yogurt for about 2 minutes to remove all lumps .
- Add the remaining ingredients of the marinade to the yogurt and mix well.
- Rub this marinade over the chicken pieces.
- Put the chicken pieces and marinade in a bowl ,cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and marinate overnight or for at least 6-7 hours in a refrigerator.