Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 6
A hearty fall soup with butternut squash and Italian sausage.
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium butternut squash (~2-3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat until cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks, before setting aside and draining all but 1 tablespoon of grease from the pan.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, white beans, tomatoes and butternut squash, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is just tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Puree half of the soup with a stick/hand blender or in a food processor or blender.
- Add the sausage and parmesan and cook until the cheese has melted before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
Note: If there is no grease in the pan after cooking the sausage, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan to cook the onion and pepper in.
Option: If your sausage has a really mild flavour, feel free to add a pinch of ground fennel and red pepper flakes along with the garlic.
Option: Garnish with pepitas and/or toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped parsley, parmesan cheese, crispy fried sage, bacon, cream, chili oil, etc.
Option: Add baby spinach or kale!
Option: Add a pinch of nutmeg.
Option: For a thicker broth, use 1 less cup of chicken broth.