Key Lime Pie Key Lime Pie made with fresh lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and an easy graham cracker crust. It’s perfectly tart, creamy, smooth-the BEST key lime pie recipe!
Key Lime Pie, a classic pie that has everything going for it. It’s sweet, salty, creamy, buttery, tart and tangy! One piece of pie will send you straight to pie heaven! It’s the perfect dessert for summertime or really anytime.
This recipe is SUPER easy to make, made with few ingredients, and it comes out perfect every time. Plus, it has a no-fail graham cracker crust. So if you are afraid of pie crusts, this is the pie for YOU! You are going to love it!
Difference Between Key Limes & Persian Limes
Key limes are smaller, contain more seeds, and have thinner skin than Persian (regular) limes. As key limes ripen, they turn a yellow hue and lose acidity. The juice takes on a sweeter flavor and has a unique aromatic flavor.
Since key limes are smaller, it takes about 5 key limes to equal the juice you will get from 1 regular lime.
Can You Substitute Regular Limes for Key Limes?
Yes! If you can’t find key limes, Persian limes will work. I know it technically won’t be a true key lime pie, but I promise no one will know. The flavor is still amazing!
You can also buy bottled key lime juice, but I don’t recommend it. The processing changes the flavor and it will give your pie an “off” taste.
How to Juice Limes
Here are a few tips to getting the most juice out of your limes.
- Store limes in the refrigerator. Leaving them out on the counter hardens the rind and dries out the flesh. Plus, they will last longer in the fridge.
- Let the limes come to room temperature before juicing.
- Place the limes in the microwave and heat it for 15 seconds. Heating the fruit helps release its juices.
- Before juicing, place your palm on a lime and roll it around on a countertop or hard surface. This separates the individual segments inside the lime, making the lime juicer.
- Use a citrus squeezer, one of my favorite kitchen tools, to juice the limes. Place the limes cut side down in the squeezer and squeeze away! Make sure you put a bowl underneath to catch the juice.
How to Make Graham Cracker Crust
This easy key lime pie recipe has a sweet graham cracker crust, which is SO easy to make. For the crust you need, crushed graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter. That is it!
- To make graham cracker crumbs, you can use you can use a food processor or blender to grind up full graham cracker sheets. You can also crush them in a zipped top bag with a rolling pin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter with a fork. Mix until graham cracker crumbs are moist.
- Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate or dish. Press down firmly with the bottom of a measuring cup or glass to make sure graham cracker crumbs are in there tightly. Pat down the bottom and sides.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the crust cool completely before pouring in the filling.
How to Make Key Lime Pie
When the pie crust is almost cooled, prepare the filling. For the rich key lime filling, you only need three ingredients:
- Sweetened condensed milk (use full fat, not fat free)
- Egg yolks
- Limes (zest and juice)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Whisk until well combined. Add in the lime zest, and lime juice.
- Pour the filling over the graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the center is set, but still slightly jiggly. Place the pie on a wire cooling rack and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well-chilled, about 2 to 3 hours before cutting.
- Serve the pie chilled or at room temperature. The pie is good plain, or you can add a dollop of fresh whipped cream. You can also add a lime slice for garnish to make the pie extra pretty!
How to Store
Key lime pie will keep for 2 to 3 days in the fridge, covered loosely with foil or plastic wrap. For presentation purposes and to keep things super fresh, we recommend waiting to top your pie with whipped cream until you are ready to serve it.
Best Key Lime Pie Recipe
The filling is tart, creamy, and smooth. The graham cracker crust is the traditional crust for key lime pie and it is the best! It’s easy and the sweet graham cracker crust crunch is perfection with the creamy lime pie filling.
This is Josh’s all-time favorite dessert! It is the perfect pie for any occasion! It is a especially delicious dessert during the summer months. It basically screams summer! Enjoy!
More Lime Recipes:
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- Zest of 1 large lime
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter with a fork. Mix until graham cracker crumbs are moist. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate or dish. Use a measuring cup or glass bottom to make sure the crumbs are pressed in firmly. Pat down the bottom and sides. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let the crust cool.
While the crust is almost cool, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks. Whisk until well combined. Add in the lime zest, and lime juice. Whisk well.
When the pie crust has cooled to slightly warm or room temperature, pour the lime filling over the pie crust. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack. When cool, chill the pie in the refrigerator. The filling will set up as it cools. Chill completely before cutting and serving.
Cut into pieces and serve cold or at room temperature. Can serve with whipped cream, If desired.
Key Lime Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g25%
Vitamin A 355IU7%
Vitamin C 4.5mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photos by Molly
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.