Piled high with crunchy, creamy, savory, and spicy components, these hearty bowls are healthy, satisfying, and (most importantly) fun to eat!
I hope you’ve all had a great start to the New Year! I’m popping in today to share these super fun, super healthy Kimchi Brown Rice Bliss Bowls. They’re a delicious mix of crunchy fresh veggies, creamy avocado, spicy kimchi, tangy peanut sauce, and brown rice, with savory marinated grilled tempeh steaks on top. If you’re someone who wants to eat more plant-based recipes in the New Year, you have to try this one! Hearty, satisfying, and fun to eat, it’d be a great make-ahead lunch or easy dinner.
I posted this recipe on Instagram a while back, and I was surprised to see how many people commented saying they wanted more tempeh recipes. I’ve always been a tempeh fan – it has a yummy nutty flavor and firm texture – so I’m excited to see that it’s growing in popularity! If you’re new to tempeh, check out this post to find out what it is and how to cook it. Then, try it in these bowls! The flavorful marinade and fresh components in this recipe really make it pop.
My Veggie Bowl Components
These veggie bowls are simple to put together! In fact, the most time-consuming part is cooking the tempeh (and that’s still pretty simple.) I steam it for 10 minutes before soaking it in a simple marinade and cooking it on a grill or grill pan. If you don’t have a grill pan, baking it works just as well!
When the tempeh is cooked, assemble the bowls with these components:
- Cooked brown rice. My pick is short grain brown rice, but long grain brown rice, cauliflower rice, or even quinoa would work just as well here.
- Kimchi! It adds a fantastic tangy, spicy pop of flavor. I use store bought kimchi to make this bowl easy to put together.
- Cucumber ribbons and red cabbage. For crunch! Steamed asparagus or snap peas or roasted broccoli would also be good additions.
- Avocado. Because it just makes everything better.
- And lots of peanut sauce! My simple recipe is easy to stir together, and it’s creamy, spicy, sweet, and savory. Yum!
Finish your bowls with sesame seeds, Thai chiles, microgreens, and a big squeeze of lime juice. Then, dig in!
If you love this recipe…
Try this rice bowl, this quinoa bowl, this buddha bowl, or these soba noodles next. Then, check out this post for more healthy dinner ideas and this post for some 2020 meal prep inspiration. Happy cooking!
Kimchi Brown Rice Bliss Bowls
Author: Jeanine Donofrio
Recipe type: main dish
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Heaping ¼ cup kimchi* (see note)
- 1 Persian cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- ½ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 8 ounces Marinated Tempeh (Baked or Grilled)
- ½ recipe Peanut Sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 Thai chiles, thinly sliced, optional
- Microgreens, for garnish, optional
- Lime slices, for serving
- Assemble the bowls with the rice, kimchi, cucumber, cabbage, avocado, and tempeh.
- Drizzle a generous amount of peanut sauce on top and sprinkle with the sesame seeds, Thai chiles, and microgreens, if using. Serve with lime slices and remaining peanut sauce on the side.