This simple and elegant lemon blueberry cake with lemon frosting is the perfect dessert for any occasion! The lemon cake is bursting with juicy blueberries and the sweet lemon frosting is amazing!
Simple Lemon Blueberry Cake
I usually dread baking cakes because that means I have to frost and decorate a cake..ha! I have zero talent when it comes to decorating and little patience. BUT I do love eating cake so sometimes I power through and bake a cake…or I just make an easy cake recipe, like this Lemon Blueberry Cake. It is super simple and tastes like a million bucks.
This Lemon Blueberry Cake is the cake that everyone RAVES about at parties. It is the cake that family and friends beg me to make, so it’s a good thing it doesn’t require any crazy cake skills to make. I don’t mind whipping this lemon blueberry cake up for special occasions or just because I want to eat cake! It’s a favorite dessert!
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cake
- You need one 9 by 2-inch round cake pan to make this lemon blueberry cake. I grease the pan and then add a parchment paper round and grease again to make sure the cake doesn’t stick in the pan. You can cut regular parchment paper to fit the cake pan or buy 9-inch parchment rounds.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Sifting the dry ingredients will help make the cake texture nice and light.
- Combine the granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant. This will bring out the lemon flavor in the zest.
- Use room temperature eggs and plain Greek yogurt. I like to use whole milk Greek yogurt, because whole milk yogurt makes the cake extra rich and moist. You can use 2% or fat free if you wish.
- Use a neutral oil for this cake. Canola, vegetable, and grapeseed oil are good options. The oil keeps the cake super moist.
- Use fresh lemon juice, not lemon juice from a bottle.
- When you combine the dry and liquid ingredients, don’t over mix the batter. If you over mix the cake will sink and the texture won’t be light and fluffy.
- I like to use fresh blueberries, but you can use frozen blueberries. Toss the blueberries with a tablespoon of flour before adding to the cake. This will prevent the blueberries from sinking.
- Bake the cake for 35 to 50 minutes, the time will vary depending on your oven, but check it at 35 minutes to be safe. Mine usually takes 45 minutes. Make sure the center is done. The cake should be golden and when you insert a toothpick in the center it should come out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges to gently release the cake from the sides of the pan. Turn it out onto a wire rack and carefully remove the parchment paper. Let the cake cool completely.
This one layer lemon blueberry cake can be served plain with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar or you can add my luscious lemon frosting. We prefer serving it with lemon frosting because it really is the icing on the cake:)
- While the cake is cooling, make the lemon frosting. Sift the confectioner’s sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add the melted butter and the lemon juice. Whisk together until smooth.
- When the cake is completely cooled, pour the frosting onto the center of the cake. Smooth with a spatula or butter knife. Garnish with fresh blueberries, if desired. Cut into pieces and serve.
Perfect Party Cake or Everyday Cake
This lemon blueberry cake is the perfect party cake because it is so easy to make! This no fuss cake can be whipped up in no time, but it is still impressive to serve. It’s a great cake for birthdays, baby showers, bridal showers, holidays, or any special occasion. It is also a great everyday cake because you really don’t need a special occasion to eat cake. Everyday should be a cake day:)
More Cake Recipes:
For the cake:
- Zest of 1 large lemon
grapeseed, or vegetable oil
plain whole milk Greek yogurt
fresh lemon juice
pure vanilla extract
tossed in 1 tablespoon flour
For the lemon frosting:
fresh lemon juice
for garnish, optional
Lemon Blueberry Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17g
Saturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrates 52g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
baking, easy, homemade