Lime Coconut Snowballs-buttery cookies with a hint of lime, a sweet lime glaze, and a sprinkle of coconut. These are cookies are a family favorite!
Today, I am sharing one of our very favorite cookie recipes, Lime Coconut Snowballs. When Josh and I got married, we made hundreds of these little snowball cookies for our wedding. They were a hit at our reception and are still one of our favorite cookies, especially during the holiday season. Everyone loves a pretty snowball cookie when it is wintery outside and the lime and coconut combo is perfection!
For our wedding, we had a huge dessert table with all of our favorite treats. Josh let me pick most of the desserts since I have the biggest sweet tooth and he didn’t want bridezilla to come out:) Josh did make one request, he wanted Lime Coconut Snowballs. I made these cookies for Josh when we were dating and he instantly fell in love with the cookies and me:) Josh LOVES all things lime so I knew I would win him over with Lime Coconut Snowballs. They were the perfect cookies to serve at our wedding.
I love these cookies because they are bite size, which makes them perfect for parties. Plus, the coconut snowy tops make the cookies so beautiful!
We have been married for over eight years and we are still baking up batches of Lime Coconut Snowballs. They are the cookie that our friends and family expect and look forward to every Christmas. Everyone fell in love with them at our wedding and they still ask for them today!
Add Lime Coconut Snowballs to your Christmas cookie list this year. They are our favorite and I think you will like them too!
We originally posted this recipe in 2008, but updated the post and photos because it is one of our favorite recipes. Enjoy!
Lime Coconut Snowballs
These cookies are a family favorite. We love making them during the holidays or anytime!
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
For the Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into sixteen 1/2-inch pieces, at cool room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature
For the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups powedered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- For the cookies, in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the beater attachment, mix flour, lime zest, sugar, and salt on low speed until combined, about 5 seconds. With mixer running on low, add butter 1 piece at a time; continue to mix until mixture looks crumbly and slightly wet, about 1 minute longer.
- Add vanilla and cream cheese and mix on low until dough just begins to form large clumps, about 30
- Use hands to roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake one batch at a time in 375-degree oven until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- For the glaze, whisk cream cheese and 2 tablespoons lime juice in medium bowl until combined and no lumps remain. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding remaining lime juice as needed until glaze is thin enough to spread easily.
- Dip tops of cookies into glaze and scrape away excess, then dip into coconut. Set cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet; let stand until glaze dries and sets. Store in an airtight container for up to four days.
Note-to make the superfine sugar, pulse 3/4 cup of sugar in a food processor for about 30 seconds.
Adapted from Baking Illustrated
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!