Melitzanosalata (Greek Eggplant Dip)
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 8
A simple and tasty roasted eggplant dip with pungent onion and garlic, bright lemon and parsley and mellow extra virgin olive oil for creaminess!
- 2 medium eggplants (~2-3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons onion, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prick the eggplants a few times with a fork, place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until really tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Cut the eggplants open, scoop out the flesh and mash with a fork or puree in a food processor.
- Mix the eggplant, onion, garlic, lemon juice and parsley along with enough olive oil to get it to the desired texture and consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and either enjoy immediately or let it sit in the fridge for a while to let the flavours mingle.
Option: Add 1/4 cup crumbled feta.
Option: Add 1/4 cup Greek yogurt for a creamier dip.
Option: Add a pinch of smoked paprika.
Option: Garnish with one or more of: feta, kalamata olives, parsley, olive oil, lemon slices, etc.