Peach Crisp-a simple peach crisp made with fresh peaches and topped with a sweet almond oat topping. Add a scoop of ice cream for an extra special summer dessert.
Millions of peaches, peaches for ME! Don’t you just love that song? It always gets stuck in my head, especially when I am eating peaches and I have been eating a lot of peaches lately. They are one of my favorite summer fruits and they are so good right now! I eat at least one a day.
I also love turning peaches into something magical. A few favorites include my Peach Raspberry Crumb Bars, Peach Pie, or this heavenly Peach Crisp. It is the BEST way to enjoy summer peaches. The juicy sweet peaches are so good with crispy cinnamon almond oat topping!
How to Pick the Perfect Peach
This crisp is best with fresh peaches. You can use frozen in a pinch, but fresh is always best!
Look for firm peaches that have a little give when gently pressed with your thumb. A good peach should smell sweet. Avoid peaches that have brown spots, shriveled skin, or peaches that feel mushy.
If the peaches are hard, you can place them in a paper bag with a banana. Close the bag and let the peaches ripen on the counter for a day or two. They should ripen beautifully!
How to Peel Peaches
Blanching is the best way to peel peaches. Sure, it takes a little extra time, but the skin will slip right off!
- To blanch peaches, place 2 to 4 into a pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the peaches from the boiling water and immediately transfer to bowl of ice water.
- The ice water bath will shock the peaches and stop them from cooking. The skin will peel right off! It’s magic!
How to Make Peach Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced peaches with the flour, sugar, corn starch, and vanilla. The cornstarch will help the juicy peaches thicken up. Gently stir and pour into prepared dish.
- To make the topping, make sure you start with COLD butter.
- Combine the oats (use old-fashioned oats for the best texture), brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until well combined and the brown sugar clumps are broken down. Add the cold butter pieces and mix in with your hands until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Stir in the chopped almonds. The almonds add a nice crunch!
- Evenly sprinkle the crisp topping over peach filling and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly!
- Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack, and cool for 15 minutes before serving.
I also like a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! You can’t go wrong with a bowl of warm Peach Crisp and vanilla ice cream. I love when the ice cream starts to melt into the crisp! Mmmm! The perfect summer dessert!
This crisp is technically a dessert, but if you find yourself eating it for breakfast, don’t be ashamed. It has almonds, oats, and fruit. Sounds like a breakfast of champions to me!
How to Store
The crisp is best the day it is made, warm out of the oven, but it will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat before serving in the oven or microwave.
More Summer Desserts
- For the Filling:
- 6 cups sliced peaches (about 6 large peaches)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Topping:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Ice cream for serving, optional
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine sliced peaches with the flour, sugar, corn starch, and vanilla. Gently stir and pour into prepared dish.
In a separate large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until well combined and the brown sugar clumps are broken down. Add the butter pieces and mix in with your hands until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the chopped almonds. Evenly sprinkle the crisp topping over peaches.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the crisp is bubbling. Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack, and cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream, if desired.
The crisp is best the day it is made, but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g15%
Vitamin A 884IU18%
Vitamin C 8mg10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.