Ingredients: 1 pound penne pasta,1/4 cup olive oil,1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, and deveined,4 cloves garlic, minced,1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning,1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning,1 can (15- ounce) whole tomatoes, drained, roughly chopped,1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves,1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves,1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley,1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes,1 cup white wine,cup clam juice (I do not recommend substituting),3/4 cup heavy whipping cream,1/2 cup grated Parmesan,1/4 cup thinly sliced pepperoni (my addition)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until the shrimp turn pink and is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, 1/4 cup basil, 1/4 cup parsley, and the red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the wine, clam juice, and heavy cream.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the cooked shrimp, the cooked pasta, and the remaining herbs.
- Toss together until all ingredients are coated.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Add sliced pepperoni if desired.
- Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve immediately.