Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 8
A warming bowl of creamy pumpkin risotto! The perfect comfort food for fall!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine (or broth)
- 5 cups chicken stock (or vegetable broth, warm)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook until it starts to turn translucent, about 1-3 minutes.
- Add the wine, deglaze the bottom of the pan by scraping up any brown bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon while the wine sizzles.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth and cook, stirring constantly until it has been absorbed into the rice before repeating, 1/2 cup at a time, until all of the broth has been added and absorbed.
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix well.
- Add the nutmeg, sage, butter and parmesan, mix it in and cook until the butter and cheese has melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Option: Substitute another short grained rice for the arborio rice.
Option: Replace the sage with thyme.
Option: Serve garnished with one or more of: parmesan, pepitas, toasted pumpkin seeds, crispy butter fried sage, toasted walnuts, blue cheese, crispy bacon, sauteed mushrooms, browned butter, etc.