Salted Honey Pistachio Cookies are soft cookies made extra flavorful with browned butter while sea salt, honey, and salted pistachios really boost up the sweet/salty combo! These are FANTASTIC!
You know I love a good cookie. I basically built my whole business around my cookie obsession. I mean find what you love, right? Anyhow, over the coarse of the almost TEN YEARS I feel like I have perfected the art of the cookie. At least, I have perfected MY version of the perfect cookie. Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, White Chocolate…yep, I’ve made them all hundreds of times. So coming up with new, and interesting cookie flavors over the last few years has gotten a little tougher. I have to get more and more creative…which is cool, I’m all about a challenge.
Anyhow, that brings me to today’s (delicious) recipe, Salted Honey Pistachio Cookies. I generally am a no-nut kinda gal…especially in cookies. I do make an exception from time to time, though. And pistachios are the perfect excuse to go nuts in.
What you get is a soft cookie, packed with flavor…I browned the butter, so there’s that. I also included coarse sea salt and honey to give them a different type of sweetness. AND white chocolate, because why not. You could also, certainly, use dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chips in these cookies. Yes, totally.
The dough is simple. When you brown the butter, just let it cool for a bit. You don’t want it to be piping hot. The coarse sea salt throughout the cookie adds little pockets of salty. If you don’t love this, go ahead and sub out the coarse sea salt for kosher salt.
Also, make sure not to over-bake these. The key to getting an extra soft cookie is to take them out of the oven slightly underdone and allow them to “carry over” cook on the pan for a few minutes on the baking sheet before cooking them on a wire rack.
I love the extra flavor the browned butter and honey give to these cookie to make them really unique!
Salted Honey, Browned Butter, Pistachios and White Chocolate make this the perfect salty/sweet cookie! So soft and cozy!
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- optional – flaked sea salt for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat melt the butter and bring to a boil. Stir or swirl pan consistently as the butter boils and begins to brown (about 5 minutes). It will turn a deep amber color. Remove from the heat and allow the butter to cool for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- When the butter is cooled add it to the bowl of your stand mixer, along with the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Add in the honey, egg, vanilla, sea salt, and baking soda. Mix for an additional minute, until combined.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in the pistachios and white chocolate chips until evenly combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (2 tablespoons) drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet about 2- inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Don’t over-bake.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 3-4 minutes on the baking sheet, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with flaked sea salt if desired.
The trick to keeping these cookies soft is to watch the bake time carefully. All ovens bake slightly differently, also the baking sheet you use can make a huge difference. I bake these for exactly 8 minutes in my oven, and the cookie gets slightly golden at the edges while looking slightly underdone on top. They will continue to bake as they sit on the hot baking sheet, so make sure to let them sit on the sheet for 4-5 minutes after you take them out of the oven.