This Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich recipe is so easy and always a family favorite. Packed with flavor and simple ingredients, these will be on your weekly meal plan rotation!
I have made version of this sandwich for years. Sometimes I’ve added peperoncini to them, sometimes a brown gravy, sometimes BBQ sauce…but I always come back to the classic. They are basically everything you love about French Onion Soup, in a messy, delicious sandwich with buttered, toasted bread and loads of cheese.
Not only are they irresistible, but they are insanely easy. You just dump your ingredients in your slow cooker and in a few hours your all set. I even made a fun little video for you to see how fast you can whip them up!
Now, as you can see, I removed the meat when it was mostly cooked. You can absolutely skip this part and let the meat cook until it’s shreddable. I just like these with the meat sliced instead. It will absolutely shred apart a little bit, but I like the larger slices, like a classic French Dip Sandwich.
Also, you can use either provolone or gruyere cheese on these! Actually, just about any cheese would be delicious, but provolone and gruyere are my favorite.
And toasting the bread is NOT optional. It makes the whole situation just BETTER.
When you serve it, ladle out some of that delicious au jus sauce and get to dipping!!
Let me know what you think!
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Author: Cookies & Cups
Serves: 12 sandwiches
- 3 – 4 pound chuck roast, excess fat trimmed
- 1 packet Onion Soup Mix
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ tablespoons steak seasoning (such as Montreal)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- ¼ cup butter, sliced
- 12 rolls
- 24 slices Provolone or Gruyere cheese
- Place the meat in your large slow cooker. Sprinkle onion soup mix, garlic powder, and steak seasoning on top. Add in onions and pour the broth and beer on top. Add butter and cover. Cook on high for 4- 5 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and slice on the diagonal. Return to the slow cooker and allow to cook for one more hour.
- To serve preheat oven to broil.
- Butter the rolls and place under the broiler for 30-45 seconds until lightly toasted.
- Place 2 slices of cheese on each roll and place back in the oven to melt cheese, 25-30 seconds.
- Top each roll with meat and onions.
- Serve with a bowl of au jus to dip.