Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:8 hours Total Time:8 hours 10 minutes Servings: 8
Classic beef pot roast and gravy made even easier in a slow cooker!
- 1 (4 pound) beef roast (such as chuck, eye of round, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, coarsely ground
- salt to taste
- Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste, place it in the slow cooker, top with the onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and set aside.
- Skim 4 tablespoons of the fat from the juices in the slow cooker and heat it in a saucepan over medium heat, sprinkle in the flour and cook until lightly golden brown, add the remaining liquid from the slow cooker along with the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper and simmer until it thickens, about 2 minutes before seasoning with salt to taste.
- Slice the beef and serve topped with the gravy.
Option: Brown the beef on all sides before adding to the slow cooker.
Option: Saute the onions and garlic before adding to the slow cooker.
Tip: Cook for about 7-8 hours on low for a roast that is somewhat slice-able or 9-10 hours for a roast that is just falling apart tender!
Option: Add 2 pounds cubed potatoes.
Option: Add 2 pounds sliced carrots.
Option: Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce or fish sauce to the gravy.