Perfectly cheesy, hearty and comforting, these spinach stuffed shells are one delicious family meal. Jumbo pasta shells are filled with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and spinach and baked in marinara sauce for one tasty bite.
Stuffed Shells with Spinach
If you are looking for a comforting pasta dish, then you can’t go wrong with these tasty spinach stuffed shells. Perfectly cheesy and creamy, they are always a hit with the whole family.
Why You’ll Love this Stuffed Shells Recipe:
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: You don’t need a long list of ingredients to make this yummy pasta recipe.
- VEGETARIAN: This is a super tasty option for a meat-free Monday.
- MAKE AHEAD: Great to eat the night you make it, but the leftovers taste pretty great too!
When you are in the mood for some comforting pasta, you really can not go wrong with these jumbo baked shells!
How to Make Spinach Stuffed Shells
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Cook the pasta shells and let them drain.
- Cook the garlic and spinach til wilted.
- Mix together the cheeses, spinach and rest of the filling ingredients.
- Pour marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Fill the shells with the filling and place on top of the marinara.
- Cover the shells with more marinara sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cooked through and bubbling.
I made this recipe in a 8×8 inch baking dish. Use a bigger dish if you want to double the recipe.
Yes. Cook the pasta shells to al dente, following the package directions. I recommend cooking a few extra shells to have on hand in case any break during the cooking or filling process.
Yes, both fresh and frozen spinach work wonderfully. If using frozen spinach, defrost it and remove any excess moisture before adding it to the cheese mixture. This will prevent the cheese mixture from becoming wet and soggy.
Definitely! This baked stuffed shells recipe is essentially a casserole, so it’s incredibly freezer-friendly. Let the casserole cool, cover it, and place in the freezer. For single servings, portion out the pasta in freezer safe containers so it’s ready to reheat at a later time.
To reheat frozen unbaked stuffed shells, let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, bake according to the directions below. To reheat baked stuffed shells, let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, reheat in the oven until warmed through.
These spinach stuffed shells are great to serve just by themselves, or pair them with some cooked veggies or a salad for some goodness. Try them with….
This is such a filling and hearty meal, and let’s be honest, you can never have enough cheese!
- Jumbo Pasta Shells: Keep an eye on the pasta shells so they don’t overcook. After boiling, set them upside down on a baking sheet to dry.
- Marinara Sauce: Use your favorite, store-bought or homemade! Or try pesto, Alfredo sauce, or another tomato sauce.
- Wrap the baking dish tightly in foil for the start of baking, if you don’t, your pasta is likely to burn on the top.
- Store any leftover shells in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
When it comes to comfort food, pasta is always a great option! These spinach stuffed shells are so delicious, I just know you are going to love them!
How can I add meat to this recipe?
Yes! If you prefer a little meat with your pasta, a ground protein like chicken, beef or turkey will work well. Brown it in a skillet first before mixing with the other filling ingredients.
What can I use instead of ricotta cheese?
Cottage cheese is a great replacement for ricotta as it has a similar texture. Goat cheese would also work great and will have a tangier flavor.
Can I use pesto instead?
Yes! Use your favorite pesto, Alfredo, or tomato sauce for this stuffed shells recipe.
These spinach stuffed shells are a favorite in our house. Super indulgent and so delicious, they are perfect when you need something warming, hearty and comforting!
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!