I eat tomatoes every day of the year. Any form, any season, I am a tomato lover. Anyone who goes out to dinner with me knows I always order a side of tomatoes.
Since this soup has fire-roasted tomatoes, it’s right up my alley. They flavor the broth beautifully.
The soup is easy, ready in under 30 minutes, healthy, accidentally vegan, and gluten-free. It’s a very flavorful plant-based soup that still feels hearty and comforting but isn’t heavy. Try it for a Meatless Monday meal.
The steam kept steaming up my camera lens.
There are sweet Vidalia onions, garlic, thyme, and oregano for flavor. Beans add protein while tomatoes, zucchini, and kale add texture. I definitely appreciate texture in soup and something to ‘chew’ keeps it interesting.
Plus all those veggies and beans keep you full for awhile.
My (almost) 10 year old daughter said the soup is one of the best savory things I’ve made ever, or at least in ages.
She proceeded to run around the house like a wild banshee after she ate it proclaiming she was ‘full of energy from all the kale and veggies’. Better than a sugar high.
Tomato, Beans, and Greens Soup
The soup is easy, ready in under 30 minutes, healthy, accidentally vegan, and gluten-free. It’s a very flavorful plant-based soup that still feels hearty and comforting but isn’t heavy. There are sweet Vidalia onions, garlic, thyme, and oregano for flavor. Beans add protein while tomatoes, zucchini, and kale add texture.
Yield: about 6 to 8 generous bowls
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Total Time: about 25 minutes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- 6 cups (48 ounces) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- two 14.5-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
- two 14.5-ounce cans cannellini beans (navy or garbanzo beans may be substituted; or mix and match), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- leaves from 4 large stalks of kale, torn into bite-sized pieces (discard the center thick rib)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, optional (brightens up the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional and to taste (balances the acidity from the tomatoes)
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until onion begins to soften; stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic, stir to combine, and sauté for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the broth, fire roasted tomatoes with juice, beans, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, bring to a boil, and allow it to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the kale, zucchini, optional lemon juice or vinegar, optional sugar, and boil about 5 minutes, or until kale has wilted and zucchini has softened. (Note – When added now, the zucchini stays crisp-tender; if you prefer it softer/mushier add it in step 3.)
- Taste soup and add additional salt, pepper, or herbs, to taste. Amount of salt will vary based on how salty the brand of broth, tomatoes, beans, etc. are. I added about 2 teaspoons. At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of broth or water is okay because at the end you will adjust the salt level. Serve immediately. Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup – Loaded with juicy chicken, healthy kale, and tender beans! Easy, hearty, and satisfying! Love it when something healthy tastes so good!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup – Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW points!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup – Extra veggies instead of noodles in this healthy, easy chicken soup that’s so fast to make! Hearty, filling, and satisfying! Perfect for weeknight dinners and chilly nights!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!