If you tell me there is incredible guacamole within a 10 mile radius of wherever I am at that moment, I’ll drop everything and go. No shame. All guacamole, all the time! I wrote a whole book on avocados so it’s LITERALLY my job to eat all the guacamole ever created. So when I caught wind of the Loaded Guacamole at the Chicago airport – you bet I made a point of going!
Frontera Grill is somewhere in the giant airport that is O’Hare and the guacamole there comes in little disposable cups loaded with all sorts of ingredients and freshly fried chips that you can take on the plane and then make whoever is sitting next to you extremely jealous! I love it so much I bought the inspiration home and made my own loaded guacamole that is laced with bacon, pepitas, cotija, roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes. It’s absolutely perfection. But like SUPER perfection because I know I say that about anything as long as it contains avocados.
You’re going to need to throw this on your Memorial Day menu 1000%
- 4 ripe Hass avocados
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2-3 strips of bacon, crumbled
- 1 jalapeno, roasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons pepitas, toasted
- 2 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cotija, crumbled
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and place the avocado flesh into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, lime juice, red onion, chives, salt and pepper. Mash with a fork until half smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Top with all the toppings and serve immediately with tortilla chips